Not sure what to do own dogs killed our chickens!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ourchickens, Apr 3, 2009.

1. ourchickens

ourchickens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2008
    Yesterday our 4 year old siberian huskies got out and killed 2 chickens and plucked out lots of feathers on two and put a deep hole in the back of another. they also wounded our girl goose. We rescued the dogs from the shelter and they were put there for killing chickens ( we didn't know this until we had already paid and gotten attatched) we have had then since they were 7 months old and this is the first time they have done this. My question is what should we do? the ckichens are my kids and the dogs are my husbands. It is hard for me to seem my children up set about the chickens and goose but by bed time they were already putting in an order for new ones. my husband is a tough guy on the out side never showing things but he was upset when faced with the qusetion of what to do. Are we being too extreme to concider putting the dogs down or is there a way to rehab the dogs. Other than the chicken killing the dogs are great. They are in a speprate part of the yard and fenced in that area. it is a large area 30ftX30ft and they have the whole back porch. They dug out into the rest of the yard. Any advice or suggestions are welcome.

2. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

I'm so sorry about your birds....

wow this is a tough call given these dogs are known for killing birds previously, yet you're attached to them now. I think if you want to keep the dogs and keep chickens, you're going to have to make the chickens pen 100% predator proof and never let the dogs out unless they are on a leash - ever.

Otherwise.... rehome the dogs and keep the flocks intact.

[​IMG] to you - poor kids must be heartbroken. Gut wretching decision to make, but you'll make the one that is the right one in the end.

3. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I am sorry about your birds. Re-home the dogs. Obviously they cannot be trusted...they killed chickens before you got them and have done so again.

4. silversage03

silversage03 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2009
    Belt, MT
    [​IMG][​IMG] Sorry for your loss. Huskies are notorious diggers, but I think there is a place for them in your family, as long as you make certain there is no way they can get to your chickens. Maybe an electric fence around the perimeter of your coop/chicken yard?

5. Dogs. Why is it I hardly ever hear about a cat killing an adult chicken?

Seems to me that dogs and chickens just do not mix. I am lucky I have ONE corgie dog that leaves the chickens alone.

I have punished her though for even taking an interest in the excitement of flapping, running and squawking chickens. I am sure it is the thrill of the chase.

Fortunately she is a butt chaser. If a roo turns and defends the flock she is GONE.

6. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    why put them down just keep the dog away from the chickens re-homing it a 3rd time would probably not be good for them emotionally. I am sorry about your chickens we have a husky too and she killed 2 of my chooks last summer when I went into the house whilke they were free ranging. I just keep mine seperate from each other.

7. Shelanie

Shelanie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2008
    Southern California
    Im sorry, thats horrible. We have gone through the same thing with our dogs, it's just thier nature. We ended up putting up an electric fence, putting hareware cloth around the bottom and burring it out so there is no digging under AND we finally put railroad ties around the outside. Where there is a will there is a way, for both us and the dogs! Good luck!

8. FaereChicken

FaereChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    N. Central Maryland
    Huskies are notoriously predatory. It's unlikely that you'll be able to train them not to kill chickens, so if you want to keep them, you'll need to keep them apart. Fencing below ground for both the dogs and the chickens is a good way to start.
    You can't blame them, really. They're just doing what they do.

9. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    If it was me I would rehome them or put them down. I wont have a dog that bothers or kills my other animals and birds. Ive got an Aussie and hes great with all our animals. I just rehomed a dog a few weeks ago for barking at my pheasants. I did give him a chance, I whipped and scolded him for it, and as soon as I was out of site he was doing it again. No matter how secure your dog lot is and your chicken coops and run is they can still get out of the lot and into you coop and run.

10. jonesgirl

jonesgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Nevada
    Huskies are natural predators anyway. I think it is sad to think you would get rid of them because they have this natural instinct. Even without knowing they killed birds before you bought them, I think knowing you are getting a husky should have been enough warning... If you can keep your chickens and dogs well apart from each other, then I say keep them both..

SOrry for your loss... It must be a horrible situation [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by