Not sure what to do??? PLEASE HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by brijay2, Dec 2, 2011.

1. brijay2

brijay2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2009
    Waddell AZ
    [​IMG]I have Serama chicks who are on day 19 of incubation. None have pipped yet but one has liquid above the air cell and I am afraid it will drown when it pips internally. I have not increased my humidity and have kept it between 30-40% through the incubation so far. Can I externally pip the egg and drain the liquid and then cover it with wax so that he/she doesn't drown. Any suggestions???

2. brijay2

Jun 16, 2009
    Waddell AZ
    Any Suggestions!!!!?????

3. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    Search for posts from Pete55 he has knowledgable posts on what to do and how to help [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. ChestnutRidge

ChestnutRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Western Virginia
    How did you figure out that the air cell is full of liquid? I've heard of the condition before but never seen a way to determine that. I'd be interested to know.

In the meantime before someone replies with a knowledgeable suggestion, my advice would be to leave it alone.

Best of luck! [​IMG]

5. brijay2

Jun 16, 2009
    Waddell AZ
    [​IMG] actual egg

[​IMG] drawing of egg since the flash will not allow me to show you on the actual candling.

Any suggestions????[​IMG]

6. ChestnutRidge

ChestnutRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Western Virginia
    Hmm. I don't usually candle on Day 19 because I am already in lockdown, but usually the egg appears entirely dark except for the air cell by day 17 or so. Is the chick still moving? It looks to me like it might be a late quitter. Still, I would leave it in and see what happens. I usually pull eggs that have not hatched at day 24 (if everyone else hatched on time, meaning late day 20/early day 21. If not, I would wait longer).

I would take a look at the candling through incubation thread and compare what you are seeing to those pictures. Then, I would just leave the egg alone and put it back into the incubator. I've never heard of anyone drawing off fluid, and that fluid is not in your air cell but beneath it, between the chick mass and the air cell. If the chick is alive, there is way too much potential for it to bleed to death or get an infection if you start to mess with it. As I said, I suspect it might be a late quitter, but I am not an expert. I would leave the egg in the incubator and see what happens.

Still, the best of luck. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with ChestnutRidge. I would be interested to know too how you determined it was fluid especially since your humidity has been maintained at 35% to 40% throughout the incubation period. Can you turn off the flash on your camera? Just curious as most cameras have that option. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  8. brijay2

Jun 16, 2009
    Waddell AZ
    Never mind, I candled the egg this morning and it appears to be an egg with a dead chick in it now........[​IMG]

9. just2rosey

just2rosey Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    New Kent
    The picture drawn of what you were seeing in the egg would be a normal dry air cell and a chick which had not yet absorbed all the liquid in the egg. An egg looking like this on day 19 with a moving chick inside can still hatch, but may hatch later, in my experience. It is just a little bit behind developmentally. I have had them look this way and hatch. Good luck with they rest of your eggs.

10. brijay2

Jun 16, 2009
    Waddell AZ
    Thank you Just2rosey that makes sense!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by