Not sure what to do...roosting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Concordmommy, May 14, 2009.

1. Concordmommy

Concordmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    Four of my five girls will go up, roost nicely, cuddle and look all cute. My fifth girl, Bess, just figured out how to get into the henhouse, and wants to roost, but she can't figure out how to get up there the right way--the roost is closer to one of the walls, and she tries to fly up there on the shorter-side instead of hopping up on the cinderblock i put there to help them get up. she flails and hits her head and wings against the roof and the roost as she's tryign to do this--all the while the other four are just like "you figure it out babe, we're not helping you." I put her up there myself and she just tries to hop over everyone to get next to her BFF--who of course is four chickens over. So either she falls down or she tries to push another one down...who eventually gets back up and pushes Bess back down. I just checked on them and the four are back up there and she's on the floor somewhere.

I guess my question would be--do i do anything or let her figure it out? Should I move the roost either more centered in the henhouse so there's equal space on either side for them to navigate up there? Should I lower it so no one can hit their heads on the roof, (which is hardware cloth)? There's a good foot or more of space betweeen the roost and the roof.

I fully admit I tend to overthink, so tell me if I'm doing that, but I just don't want Bess to hurt herself, and i want her to be able to roost like she wants to.

2. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    Could you put up a second roost closer to the floor, either so she can just stay down there, or have a better step up to the high roost? sounds like she is low bird, so they might never let her up there. Mine like to shove each other around while jockeying for position, but they have other roost choices. Good luck.

3. Concordmommy

Apr 7, 2009
    I forgot to say--the four all huddle together almost on top of each other. They have a four foot long roost and they huddle all together on about one foot of it. Is that normal?

4. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    Quote:yes, definitely

5. Concordmommy

Apr 7, 2009
    I could put another roost in there perpendicular to the one in there now, but can't put it too much lower because there's a nesting box that is going to go in there too and that'll be in the way.
    Funny you say she's low--she doesn't seem like it. Jackie is the highest I think in the pecking order and Bess is her best bud--they hang out all the time together. I guess she could still be lower, but I think my Rosalyn is the lowest-she's always being pecked in the 'get outta my way" way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by