1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Not sure what to do - seems to be breathing funny

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Katz5617, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Katz5617

Katz5617 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2014
    First time chicken mama here and mine are about ten weeks old. They have been extremely happy and healthy. They have plenty of fresh water and it is cool. They are in the shade - I put the electrolytes with vitamins in their water. Feeding them their regular starter chick feed. I have grit in the pen. I offer them greens as well, give them meal worm treats. They are growing like weeds, but this morning one of the RIR seems to be breathing with her beak open. She is drinking and walking around but just doesn't seem to be as active as the others. None of the others are breathing like that - is there something I need to give her or treat her with - if so what and how is it administered. I've had them for about 8 weeks and this is the first time she has done anything like this. They don't have any bugs or anything on them. Their pen is clean and I wear only one pair of shoes out to the pen - when I come back I take them off so I haven't carried anything to them that way. Should I be worried. What should I do - should I separate her from the flock?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    When you say it is cool - what is the temperature in your location at the moment? Often our idea of a comfortable temperature and their's can differ - and it can be that one bird is more sensitive to it than the others in the flock.

3. MSBG

MSBG Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2009
    Not sure where you are or what the weather is there but the heat (heat stress) will cause them to breath like that. If you have a mister you can turn on, that can be beneficial to them, a shallow pan of water that they can walk through or stand in is an idea. Some cold watermelon would be good. Chickens don't have sweat glands so keeping them cool is really vital during the summer months.

While these are great treats that you offer, all the goodies you give them should be limited and they should mostly eat their regular feed.

Some good info regarding heat can be found here-

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/beat-heat-how-to-help-chickens-survive.html

IF you don't think that the heat is the cause, then you may want to consider taking her to the vet.

Keep up the good job and Good luck!

4. Katz5617

Katz5617 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2014
    I have a shallow pan - I will go put it out there with water to see if she needs to cool off. We are in the deep south and the temps here have been horrendous. Their pen is in the shade, but I will go put a misting fan out there. I have a misting fan that I keep for the dog when it gets so unbearably hot. I have been keeping the electrolytes in their water and I will add ice cubes to it to make certain the water is cool. Their regular food comes first and I only give them treats in the afternoons after they have eaten all day and just before they go in the coop for the night. I have a second water source in the coop should they need water during the night. I just want to make sure I do all the right things.

5. MSBG

MSBG Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2009
    You are doing great!

Chickens are pretty hardy critters but I'd say that the heat is probably at the top of the list of what is the hardest thing for them to cope with.

Here is a great link to help you in just about any situation - I turned to this blog many times over the years. I'm giving you the link to the heat related info,. but check out the whole blog as it contains many, many topics for us back yard chicken moms.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/search?q=heat+stress

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by