Not sure what to do - would love some advice.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Watermelon_Gypsy, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Watermelon_Gypsy

Watermelon_Gypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    I have 5 standard sized chicks who turned 2 weeks old this past Monday. Today I was given a gold laced wynadotte who is roughly 5 days old. Probably not the wisest choice but the chick was given to my neighbor by her daughter & she didn't want it & knew I had chicks - but now I'm wondering how to introduce her to the bigger chicks. Since there is an age & obvious size difference, do I have to wait until all the birds are full grown? Or can I introduce her sooner? I'm feeling kinda lost on how to do this. Right now I have her in with my new bantam chicks, while I figure out what the safest thing is to do.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I have put different aged chicks together before. Not quite two weeks' difference should be okay - just watch for a while to make sure it isn't being harassed by the older chicks. There might be SOME pecking, but usually not that much. Sometimes they actually snuggle together like big sisters with a little sister.

3. WhetzelMomma

WhetzelMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2009
    Canyonville
    You can TRY her in with the older chicks and see what happens... since you have bantams, you can at least put her in with them if the others don't work. Good luck!!

4. Watermelon_Gypsy

Apr 26, 2010
    Quote:Oh! That's so good to know - I'll put them together tomorrow & watch them for a good long while. Gosh, I hope they get along! My coop is only big enough for 6 hens and she is baby #6. I thought my girls were so small still, till I brought in the new baby lol Goodness they grow fast!! Okay, so fingers crossed that all goes well. Thank you for replying [​IMG]

Quote:Hadn't thought of that lol I've had it in my head that I needed to figure out how to get her in with the other standard sized chicks, but with her being the only standard hopefully she wouldn't pick on the bantams once she grows bigger.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  5. Watermelon_Gypsy

Apr 26, 2010
    Just thought I would update - it worked out perfectly! They didn't even really pay much attention to her except for when she'd chirp REALLY loud b/c she could hear the other chicks that she was used to being with lol Something I hadn't thought of was we had a tiny little bantam in with them up until yesterday & they are both similar in coloring, so I kinda wonder if they just thought she was the bantam. Either way the transition went perfectly smooth & their happy! I'm so glad! Yay! [​IMG]

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Appreciate the update. I've read many times that up to 3 weeks is usually safe to mix. Good to know it worked.

7. Celtic Chick

Celtic Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    Thank goodness! That doesn't usually happen all that often. Glad it did.

8. Watermelon_Gypsy

Apr 26, 2010
    I'm very glad it worked out too! I was prepared for the fact that it might not, so it was a pleasant suprise. [​IMG]

9. RareBreedFancier

RareBreedFancier Surrounded by Broodies

Nov 5, 2010
    Australia :)
    Quote:On that note, I hatched a lone chick Easter chick. Only chicks I could find local were 3 - 4wo bantie White Leghorns hatched by a sneaky broody out of season. They are all fine together even with the BIG age difference. Glad they were banties though or they'd probably have been to big for a new hatchling.

They were actually scared of Easter when I first put them in the brooder but quickly accepted their little sister and she loves them. [​IMG]

10. Watermelon_Gypsy

Apr 26, 2010
    Soo the peace didn't last long - our araucana over the last day has been SO mean to her! Frustrating. So I removed her tonight & put her back in with the bantams. Only we have a bit of a bantam issue going on, we lost one last night that seemed perfectly healthy and now I think we might lose another - she is very sleepy, breathing slow & just not acting right [​IMG] What are the chances, should we lose the little yellow bantie that my one lone bantie and my one lone GLW would be friends & coop together? The only problem I can foresee is if one turns into a roo, then the other should she be a hen will be all alone. Should I get another bantam chick or just wait & see how things turn out?

Feeling a bit unsure on how to handle this, so that we can get the best outcome for the hens.

Last edited: May 2, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by