1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Not sure what to do...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by smk2010, Jun 28, 2010.

1. smk2010

smk2010 In the Brooder

Jan 25, 2010
    One of my hens has started brooding (been on eggs for 7 days)[​IMG]. We have 6 hens that are laying, 1 big rooster, and 10 five month old pullets. I assume the soon to be mamma hen is laying on almost 20 eggs right now since we did not get any eggs at all for 3 days and only 2 on the fourth day. We have 8 laying boxes but they all seem to like to share the same box. If mamma is indeed laying on aprox 15-20 eggs, how safe is it going to be to leave her and the soon to hatch chicks in the coop with the other chickens? Also, the box her and the eggs are in is about 3 feet off the ground. Is it safe to move both mamma chicken and the eggs to a new location or should I wait until they hatch? I am new with all this stuff so any and all advice will be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank You!!!!!
    SMK

2. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Songster

Mom will keep her new chicks in the nest with her for at least the first week. After that, you could place a ramp up to her nest box, so she can lead her brood down & start teaching them how to find food & water.They are fast learners! Momma hen will keep the other hens away with her growls of warning. Most times, the other hens want to see, not eat those new members of the flock. There might even be one hen that will assist in teaching & guarding the peeps. chickens are most facinating to watch & learn.

3. smk2010

smk2010 In the Brooder

Jan 25, 2010
    Thank you. Would it be safe to move the hen and the eggs into a makeshift nest on the ground? If she does hatch 15-20 chicks there is no way they will all stay safely in the small nesting box she is currently in. She barely fits in it now as it is![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by