Not sure what to do.....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PAchickenlover, Feb 17, 2012.

1. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Hi, I recently found out that a few of my chickens have mites. My problem is that I have a broody sitting on 7 eggs that is in the same area that the chickens that had the mites were. I have removed the chickens that were the worst but now I am seriously concerned about the chicks hatching out and being attacked by the mites.. Should I take them away from my broody and put them in my bator? Or do I leave them in there? I have been contemplating this decision for a few days now and decided I needed an outside opinion... So please let me know what you think...
    Thank you,
    Mollie

2. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    I would set up a different place for the broody, thoroughly dusted with Sevin dust. Move the eggs to there, dust the broody thoroughly, or put Ivermec pour-on drops on her. That cleared my birds right up.

After you have her moved, start the war on the coop. Twice, you have to do everything again in two weeks.

I would definitely be worried about mites on the babies. It can weaken them if they get too infested. What day are you on for incubation? If after your best efforts you're still seeing mites, I would remove the eggs and hatch them in an incubator, then brood them well away from the coop to let them get age and size while you continue to work through the clearing it up.

I've had repeat issues with only using Sevin dust. Much better results using Ivormec on the birds, Sevin dust and DE in the bedding, and kicking the birds out while I muck out the coop and spraying permitheon (sp?) spray into the nooks and crannies. I then let the coop air out for a couple hours, put in new bedding, and dust it thoroughly with both Sevin and DE.

You need to get all the cracks, where the roost attaches to the wall, any seam between boards. Last year we ran a bead of caulk over most everything to avoid having the cracks and make it easier to sanitize.

I don't know where these bugs come from, but I'm not having it! Has to be wild birds, but they've been shut out from the runs since last July. Maybe they can be picked up in the grass when I let them out?

Since adding the drops of Ivormec to the chickens I haven't had a problem, 5 drops on a large sized hen, sort of like frontline for chickens! A drop on the back of the neck, one under each wing in that bald spot they have (it must be on the skin) a drop above the tail, and a drop below the vent. Two person job, one to hold the chicken and find skin, the other person applies the drops. We've been bug free for 3 months now.

3. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Thank you very nuch for your reply. I have no idea what day they are on due to the fact that the hen was hiding in our woods with her eggs. When my dog found her, I collected the eggs and her and put her in the coop.. Well she then rejected the eggs so I had another hen that had been acting broody for a little while, I put her on the eggs and she has been happy ever since. I do not have a real quiet place for her to go with the eggs as all of my buildings have birds in them. My bator is set up and has 48 eggs inside... I would love to let her hatch the chicks but as I stated before.... the mites... I have to go look in our garden shed to see if there is any garden dust in there. Not sure if I have any.. I do have Ivormec so I will try that to start off... Hopefull I can getor find some garden dust... Might not be Seven dust... WIll that be ok?
    Thanks again.
    Mollie

4. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

PA, if you don't treat ALL of your fowl, you are wasting your time and money. If one has lice/mites, they all do. I have always use Sevin Dust for mild infestations, like you have. I have even used it on broodies with eggs and new chicks. Seems safe enough to me and I have never had a problem with the babies. Dust all of your chickens. Do it at night when they are easy to catch. Dust the nests, including the broody nest and all the floors, etc. Good luck.........Pop

5. Tracy the chick

Tracy the chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    Hi mollie, are you in york UK? You can order Diatom on line or at your local feed store. I would cover the whole pen, pearches and put some in there food. I do this once every 3 months and mine have never had them. I would move the mum and babies too. Good luck hun and if you want to PM me thats ok. Tracy.

6. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Thank you again for your responses. I am in York, Pa, USA. I have given my birds some DE and I gave the 6 worst ones a bath in Dawn dish soap. I would wash them all but that is about 40 birds and I don't have that many towels.. Plus it is still too cold here in PA to have wet birds outside. I do not use heat lamps due to the fact that I had a fire in my one coop once from a heat lamp.. I have some work to do today obviously... I have to find some garden powder to sprinkle in the space I am going to move my broody and I have to sprinkle it on her also. My guess is that the eggs are around the second week, that is about as far as I can guess.. I know they were being sat on before I got my bator set up, and that was a week ago.

About three weeks ago I moved all of my hens and a few of my roo's to a new location....our old dog run area. I moved them after we had a predator attack and lost a few chickens. Previously they all were free range birds. It has taken some adjusting and some wing clipping to keep them in there but they all seem to be happy now. They have a rather large area to roam inside the fence which is in our woods. They are currently using the old dog house that I had built for our dogs before we lost our female (Lilly), who had escaped, to being hit by a car. Her son now lives in the house as he refused to even go in to the pen for a long time. Any how, we are going to be building an all new coop as soon as our income tax return check comes. I might be tearing the old dog house apart to recycle some of the wood, but I am unsure about that yet.

Well this week has been horrible as far as egg production goes so there must be more mites in there than I had imagined... Fleas wouldn't do this to chickens would they? I know we had a huge issue with fleas here last year.. Just a thought... I guess I am going to tear part of the dog house apart today so that I can clean it out better. It needs to be done if I am going to start to get more eggs from my girls.

Sorry for the book but I thought it might be helpful if I let you know what the whole story was.
    Thanks again for your help.
    Mollie

7. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Incase you are interested here is the idea that we have for the new coop.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by