Not Sure what to do .......??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by NestingHillsSC, Mar 9, 2012.

1. NestingHillsSC

NestingHillsSC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2012
    Tennessee
    I have 6 almost 2 week old chicks. When they get there feathers and can move outside I was going to put them with the other 4 hens and rooster. But how am I suppose to not feed them layer feed for 5 month? When there's layer crumbles and layer pellets for the other hens. I can hang a feeder for them but how to make them feed out of that and not the other and not let the other hens feed out of there feed. No what I mean!!??? [​IMG]

2. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    Start mixing the peep feed in with the pellets, make it a half and half, then when the time has come slowly take out the peep food so they don't get stressed.

3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I suggest putting them all on grower, and giving the laying hens oyster shell for extra calcium. Works great for my mixed age flock :) Never give chicks layer. It will kill their kidneys. It's better to adjust the older chickens' food.

4. NestingHillsSC

Jan 6, 2012
    Tennessee
    That sounds good. Never heard laying feed to be bad for them though. Adjust how?

5. redheadfarmer

redheadfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2011
    SW Ontario
    Laying mash for chicks in very bad. My suggestion would be to divide the pen so that hens get layer and chicks don't or change the hen feed. The calcium can do a lot of damage in chicks that are not laying eggs.

6. JerseyGiantfolk

Jan 12, 2012
    ^^ Those peeps are correct, maybe you should introduce the chick food to the older chickens before you put the babies out with them..

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  7. NestingHillsSC

Jan 6, 2012
    Tennessee
    Dividing is just really not an option. I understand about the layer being bad for the chicks. I thought he was talking about the hens.

8. JerseyGiantfolk

Jan 12, 2012
    Hmm, do you have your chicks inside, or in a different coop right now?

9. NestingHillsSC

Jan 6, 2012
    Tennessee
    Inside. I a 2x3x3 portable dog kennel. Usually use it for my chicken hospital. LOL. Big enough right now. Just not sure for how long.

I quick took a few pics. Just put that stick in there for them. Took them an hour to even get close to it. [​IMG] Plus had to through one of the chicks in there. LOL [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. JerseyGiantfolk

Jan 12, 2012
    Well, they still look young, so while they grow their feathers in, start mixing chick feed in the big chickens feed.

That's a good place to keep them! I kept mine in my room.... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by