Not sure what to do

johntree72

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 13, 2012
One of our girls laid her first egg last week. She used 1 of the 3 boxes that we have for our 6 girls. She is still laying everyday however we find the egg in the coop under the roosting bar which is on the other side of the coop. We just had hay in the boxes but she pushed all of it out and the egg was just on wood so my husbands friend told him that he uses pine shavings sooooo I put pine shavings in box. But again now we are finding them in the coop so did I confuse her by changing from hay to shavings or is she still to young to really now what to do. Oh I did put hay on top of the shavings just in case that was the problem but again today it was under the roosting bar.and we have always had golfballs in the boxes

Last edited:
Do you have a lip across the bottom of the front, to make it harder for them to scratch the hay out? Sometimes they like the nest to be sort of half dark, to feel like they are hiding. Some people put a scrap of cloth across the top of the opening to make a partial curtain.

Or, it could just be that they are new to this and still learning, as you said. It often takes about a month for them to get the whole egg laying thing straight.

we have a very small lip we should make it alot bigger. if I hang something up do you think they will pick at it lol they eat everything.

Back
Top Bottom