Not sure what to do???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wewcz5, Nov 13, 2013.

1. wewcz5

wewcz5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2013
    Shasta county, Ca
    We raised chicks in the fall and then incubated and hatched the beginning of October. The chicks are almost 6 wks now. I don't know which are roosters and which are hens. If they were all hens I wouldn't worry to much but how does the dynamic change if there are several rooster chicks. My plan is to let the chickens out to free range and then pin up the chicks in the coop during the day. I would want to start free ranging them but I know they come back to roost. If they haven't been roosting in the pin I don't know how to get then to come back. I might just build a make shift shelter in the run until the chickens let them in the coop. What do you think?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Actually it isn't a problem to raise all the chicks together. They're likely half cockerels.
    If you let them sleep in the coop a couple nights and then confine them to the pen a couple days so they orient themselves to their surroundings. They'll come back at night when you finally let them range.
    When they approach 20 weeks, the cockerels will squabble a little but is shouldn't be too bad. You will have to eat a few of them eventually or they'll overbreed.

3. wewcz5

wewcz5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2013
    Shasta county, Ca
    So its not a problem to put my 6 wk old chicks in with my full grown chickens? I just want to make sure I am understanding correctly.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Definitely is a problem......you need to wait until chicks are almost as big the adults to fully integrate.

Has nothing to do with gender (hens or roos), but size and age.

The adult chicken could kill the small chicks.

If you could split the coop and run so the adults and chicks can see each other but not physically interact, that would be the best scenario.

5. Just raise them together, don't worry too much. If you need help sexing you can post in the What Breed Or Gender is This? section in the forum.

6. I would wait 'till the chicks can stand up for themselves if they are being picked on by the older chickens.
    Chickens are the kind of animal that tends to pick on the weaker of their kind, even if they are a great flock member.
    I would wait, you can always let them meat through a fence, but don't put them together until a bit after they have most of their adult feathers.
    The only case where they can go together young is if they are being raised with a broody.

7. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    No I meant that the pullets and cockerels could be raised together.

Aside from the physical danger from the older birds, health concerns also dictate that preferably young birds should not be raised with adults.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by