1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Not sure what to think...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by henloverinmaine, Jun 19, 2008.

1. henloverinmaine

henloverinmaine Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2008
    Downeast coastal Maine
    My RIR's have always been good layers. Lately someone in the flock has been laying eggs w/o shells or not laying at all. The eggs are smaller as well. They free range during the day, and have layer pellets in the coop at all times. Now I recently changed over to pellets from crumbles. Should that make any difference? Any ideas??[​IMG]

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    A lot of things can cause this, lack of calcium, stress, heat stress, molting, infectious bronchitis...

3. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    Do they have access to oyster shell? They should have that available to them if not. However, if they get layer crumble, there should be just enough in there to give you a decent shell I would think. I like nice hard shells so I always have the Oyster shell for them to pick at.

4. henloverinmaine

Mar 27, 2008
    Downeast coastal Maine
    They have never needed oyster shells. Their shells have always been nice and thick. They are just 1 year old and I read that they do not molt the first year. How would I know if one of them have infectious bronchitis?[​IMG] And how would I treat it?

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Even if you think they haven't needed oyster shell in the past they may need it now. That's the first thing I'd try.

6. henloverinmaine

Mar 27, 2008
    Downeast coastal Maine
    Thank you!! I'll pick some up tomorrow!! I hope it helps![​IMG] Does anyone think this could be related to the feed?

7. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    Instead of buying calcite/oyster shell, you can rinse off shells of eggs after you use innards, and crumble up the shells and put them in a bowl for the hens. They will eat the shells to refill their calcium reserves.

8. nmred

nmred Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2007
    I do think it could be related to the feed, because I had the same thing happen to me last summer. I changed brands because I happened to be in a different store to pick up something else, remembered I needed layer feed and so just picked it up there as it was more convenient at the time. Within a week I was getting shell-less eggs from one of my hens. It happened three times in a row. We went back to the original feed and it stopped. The new feed you're trying may not have as much calcium or something. I'd try switching back to your old feed and see what happens.

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:I do that too...just seems like they don't go very far!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by