Not sure what's going on. Please Help.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by erinangele, Aug 5, 2013.

1. erinangele

erinangele Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    *Update* I'm pretty sure it's a leg injury. Details in post #4.

A couple days ago I noticed my 23 week old EE pullet sitting more than usuall. She would walk a bit, then slowly lower herself to a resting position. Yesterday she also had her mouth open, it was hot, but it seemed exaggerated. No other symptoms.

I really don't have a lot of experience with injuries or disease. Worried she might be egg bound (although I don't believe that is the problem anymore), I gave her a Epsom Salt bath. Then I read that olive oil helps with being egg bound and impacted crop, so I gave her some and put her back outside.

Today I saw a senior hen peck her and she fell on her face while trying to move quickly. Tonight while putting the "chicks" in the coop (they are still confused about where they should sleep) she could not balence on the perch I put her on. So I set her in the nesting box.

Now I believe it might be a injury. Although I really don't know. She is eating and drinking and generally staying with the others, but sitting at any chance she gets. Otherwise her posture is normal. She has not started laying yet. Any ideas on what is wrong with my chickie?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  2. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Have you wormed them recently? Constant yawning can be a sign of gapeworm. Also check for lice.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Sounds like she is eggbound. Soak her in warm water up to her sides and gently massage her underside while soaking for about 20 minutes. Continue as necessary. Dont give her olive oil to drink, doesnt need it. The older hen that pecked on her is nothing more than a pecking order issue as well as where they perch inside the coop...that is normal.

4. erinangele

Jul 2, 2011
    Thank you for the replies! I inspected her legs more closely today. I can't feel anything out of place, however the right leg seems to be the problem. She let me move it freely (the left leg was stiffer and she moved herself). When I set her down she fell towards her right side before steadying herself. I'm not sure what the problem is but I'm guessing its near her hip. Is there anything I can do to help her?

5. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    It's a long shot, but horses and goats yawn when in pain. Perhaps she has been injured! I'd keep her confined and just give some TLC. As Dawg said, it's normal for hens to pick on one another, but they will single out anyone that's not 100%.

6. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    How hot are you talking? High temp. can and do kill chickens. Bring her inside, cool her down and monitor her condition,make sure she is eating/drinking(she could be dehydrated)do an epsom salt soak for her leg. If you feel she is in pain(chickens will hide their pain,signs are not eating/drinking.lethargic,confused,etc.)give her a baby aspirin(81mg)dose is 25mg per lb of body weight,crush and sprinkle over feed or place in water,may make her sleepy. Look at her poop,first sign of anything wrong is their poop

7. erinangele

Jul 2, 2011
    Thank you! I will buy some baby aspirin and give her another Epsom salt soak. Her poops look normal. It was in the high 80's when she had her mouth open, its cooler today and she is not doing it.

I'm not so concerned with the pecking as her stumbling onto her face while trying to move away :-( poor girl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by