1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Not sure what's going on..

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tlundy722, Oct 11, 2016.

1. tlundy722

tlundy722 New Egg

Jun 10, 2015
    Have a chick that's a couple weeks old. Feathers on belly growing toward vent rather than away from. Never seen this before. I know some chickens grow opposite facing feathers but this is strange. I have to clean her bottom twice daily to prevent blockage. Any ideas what's going on?

[​IMG]

2. blairctchickens

blairctchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2016
    North East Kansas
    What kind of breed is your bird?

3. tlundy722

tlundy722 New Egg

Jun 10, 2015
    Not sure, I buy these little gals from the feed store just listed as "meat birds" also listed sometimes as broilers. I don't raise them for meat plus they lay great quality white eggs.

4. blairctchickens

blairctchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2016
    North East Kansas
    Ok, just curious, how long have you been raising these types birds? I am surprised you are raising them as layers since they are bred for meat.[​IMG] There are many dual purpose breeds that are more for egg production that would live longer than this breed. Nothing wrong with raising this style of chickens but just thinking you could get more enjoyment out of another type. [​IMG] Anyways I found nothing after some online research, the way the belly feathers are growing in the wrong direction. Could be a defective gene in the bird? But I do know that this breed of bird will be more naked until cooler weather comes and then they will feather out. Time will tell, once she is fully feathered, if it will cause more issues.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  5. tlundy722

tlundy722 New Egg

Jun 10, 2015
    Needs must when the children drive. That is, I buy them because the kids want the ones they pick. Honestly it doesn't matter the breed of bird - eggs vs meat. I have a variety of breeds but only utilize them for eggs, not raising meat birds. Although I do transition my layers to that function when the time comes.
    Been at it a few years now.

As for this particular chick, thanks for looking online. I still don't know what's going on. Not TOO concerned about it, it's just nice to be informed about anomalies like this (like when you find your first lash egg). The picture makes her seem less feathered but she is actually pretty filled out. Few patches from pecks but all in all, normal. I'll post more pics tomorrow. Thanks again for the help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by