Not sure whats wrong help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Annette15, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Annette15

Annette15 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2014
    My polish hen didn't go in last night and I found her on her back this morning. I brought her in and got her warmed up. She's eating and drinking well but she can't seem to use her left leg. Is it possible that she will return to normal? There is nothing visibly wrong with her leg and she seems to be fine otherwise.

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Can you post a picture of her? It is possible she has a vitamin deficiency. I would try a good poultry multi vitamin and see if there is any improvements.it can also be possible that it is more serious like mareks virus. Was she vaccinated? If you can post a picture it might be helpful in discovering what is wrong .

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Have you looked for swelling or evidence of a broken bone? Unfortunately Mareks disease might be a cause of her lameness. Did she have a vaccine? I would place her in a crate for now to observe her, and set water and food close to her. If she starts to use the leg, I would keep her up for a week or so to rest it. Here is a couple of links to read:
    http://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource000791_Rep813.pdf
    http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/avian-atlas/search/disease/502

4. Annette15

Feb 2, 2014
    I ca

5. Annette15

Feb 2, 2014
    I can try to post a pic. She wuss not vaccinated, but she has no Mareks symptoms. She wuss 100% the day before, she was outside over night and from what I can tell slipped off the container she was rooster on and ended up upside down. Her leg does not have any signs of broken either. I was wondering if the stress of being upside down could've cause it at all. I have her in our heated shop, She can use her right leg and both wings. She was really close to gone when I found her.

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Does the bad leg have any signs of possible frostbite or discoloration or swelling in the toes or foot?

7. Annette15

Feb 2, 2014
    Nothing at all

8. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    [​IMG]

Lameness is the biggest Mareks disease symptom. A Mareks disease vaccination often provides no protection from the Mareks disease virus so if it is Mareks don't beat yourself up over it. Since Mareks disease is in fact cancer it may infect any part of your hen from her feather follicles to her bone marrow. The only way to half way diagnose Mareks disease is to preform a necropsy on the bird in question. This itself is always 100% fatal to every chicken examined. And still the examination may not confirm the presence of the Mareks virus.

I seem to remember that Mareks is the number one diagnosis in back yard flocks reported by USDA or FDA University Poultry Science Labs.

9. Annette15

Feb 2, 2014
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So she's alert as can be this morning. Felt her joints again and they feel normal, she just has no control on her left leg

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She is very pretty. I would keep her near her food and water, since her immobility could cause her to starve. Just give her supportive care. Here are 2 other links, and one is an active thread where you can read about the disease and ask questions to knowledgeable people about Mareks disease (of course I cannot tell you for sure that is what she has):
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/741957/not-an-emergency-mareks-in-the-flock

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by