Not sure what's wrong with my Black sex link....HELP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Gramcracker3, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Gramcracker3

Gramcracker3 New Egg

Jan 15, 2016
    Athol, Idaho
    I have 5 chickens, an Orpington, 2 Americaunas, a Silkie, and a Black sex link. Black sex link has been staying in her nesting box, when she does venture out her hackles are up, very nervous, scattered and agitated. She did have poop stuck to her backside which I took care of. She did lay an egg yesterday so that took away the bound egg theory. We did have a Silkie rooster which we culled. We hated to do it but he was MEAN. The Sex Links changed after he had his way with her. Rooster has been gone for about a week. Sex Link is still acting strange. Noticed today, one of Ameracaunas kept chasing the Sex Link and pecking her. I do have some antibiotics should I begin giving her some. I know chickens will try to go after sick chickens which is what seems to be happening now. Should we separate her from the flock and from camping out in her nesting box.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    It sounds like she is going broody.

Is she eating and drinking well?

3. Gramcracker3

Gramcracker3 New Egg

Jan 15, 2016
    Athol, Idaho
    She is eating but not much. Have not seen her drinking water. She came out of her box yesterday and I thought she was done. Nope, went right back in after dusting herself with dirt.

4. Gramcracker3

Gramcracker3 New Egg

Jan 15, 2016
    Athol, Idaho
    Thank you! I think she is broody. I'll have to find a wire crate and try that method to see if it will break her.

5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hopefully that will work.

Let us know how she's doing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by