Not sure what's wrong with my chicken. Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bbelflower, Oct 7, 2015.

1. bbelflower

bbelflower Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2015
    Pampa, TX
    I have a hen that is in with about 30 other chickens. She is the only one with this 'stuff' on her face. Any ideas or treatment ideas available? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Appears to be fowl pox no real treatment, transmitted by mosquitoes, should run it's course in about four weeks, watch for pecking from other chickens, and make sure it's eating and drinking, it appears it's eye is swollen shut which is common. Good luck.

3. chattery41

chattery41 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    near Cleveland TN
    Wow, it looks like she's been roosting under the other chickens and got pooped on.

4. bbelflower

Jun 12, 2015
    Pampa, TX

She is eating and drinking but I just feel so sorry for her. So no antibiotic?

5. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Antibiotics won't treat the pox, they would only help if there's something else going on as well, I personally just let them go through it, but feel free to do whatever makes you more comfortable, it's hard watching them go through it, I know, but all of mine have recovered, it she becomes lethargic or appears unwell go ahead and give her something, mine have always acted normal during it.

6. bbelflower

Jun 12, 2015
    Pampa, TX
    It is sad watching them. I have a D'Uccles that is doing the same thing but her eye is foaming up. Is that normal? It's only these 2 chickens doing it out of about 40.

7. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Mine would only swell shut, I'm not sure about the foaming. It doesn't seem to be overly contagious, it was sporadic in my birds, one here, one there, over the course of the summer. Certainly put them on antibiotics if you are concerned about other things, it can't hurt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by