1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

not sure whats wrong with my chicken?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lmarie26, Nov 14, 2016.

1. lmarie26

lmarie26 Just Hatched

Nov 14, 2016
    chuluota
    I need advice, two of my hens have black dots on there combs and feet. From what I keep reading it sounds like fowl pox. They act normal and like everything is fine. The spots scabs whatever they are dont look near as bad as some pics I see and aren't on there eyes or mouths. Should I freak out? Or will it run its course? Could it be mites or lice? would that cause spots on their combs? They are still laying eggs and like I said act normal. I have been keeping the water bowl clean, the coop clean more often and also putting screen on the coop to protect them more from mosquitoes. What do I do? And if it is fowl pox how to repel mosquitoes without harming my chickens.

Thanks in advance!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] It almost sounds as if they might be nothing more than peck marks from other birds.

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I agree, it sounds like peck marks. Fowl pox can get pretty nasty looking. The best thing you can do as far as mosquito control is to dump water often and eliminate any standing water.

4. triplepurpose

triplepurpose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    error

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  5. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    I had the same issue, black scabs on my girls combs/face area. They were eating, drinking water & pooping = normal. I thought maybe peck scabs. Told it probably dry pox (nothing like I've seen when researching), told to let it run it's course. Scabs gone with white scars that slowly disappearing. Here in Hawaii there is no getting away from mosquitos, is there anything I can use/spray to prevent more bug bites? I was told there's a vaccine for it but I'd prefer something tropical instead of intravenous.

6. lmarie26

lmarie26 Just Hatched

Nov 14, 2016
    chuluota
    [​IMG]

Took these tonight... if it helps any. No fleas on her or lice. Checked her tonight and her mouth inside looks good. So I'll just keep an eye on her.

7. triplepurpose

triplepurpose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    isnt the flock largely immune after having pox anyway...? and its mostly non lethal to them and not a public health issue.

we had it once and havent had it since. (and fyi we are in HI too).

i would recommend minimizing standingvwater and such anyway, but completely eliminating mosquitoes in hawaii is a fools errand imho--and in the case of chemical controls, a cure worse than the disease!

i would recommend out of consideration trying to avoid spreading the virus to others flocks however, and let friends with chickens know avoid your coop etc while it blows over (in case thats what is is)... basic quarantine precautions, that sort of thing...

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  8. lmarie26

lmarie26 Just Hatched

Nov 14, 2016
    chuluota
    [​IMG]

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop