Not sure what's wrong with my hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Manyfur, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Manyfur

Manyfur Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2010
    My hen has been acting funny for about a week. I noticed that she seemed a little more lethargic than the other hens in the cold weather—she'll leave the coop, and peck the ground, but a lot of the time when she was standing she wouldn't hold her head upright; she let it settle on her shoulders instead, and also seems to be permanently 'fluffed up.' She wouldn't move around as much as the others, but she'd still run when I tried to get ahold of her, and she'd be quick running up to me when I came out into the yard with fresh scratch and water. I don't think she's laid an egg in nearly two weeks. She's a silkie, roughly 1 year and 9 months old, so I assumed that she (like another hen) was getting broody—I call this one Mama because I let her hatch chicks in the fall.
    Tonight I found her in the kennel-made-coop I've been using to wean the chicks into living outdoors instead of in my dining room—she was on her side, lying outside the most sheltered area, even though the wind had started blowing hard (which is why I was checking up on things). Her backside was covered with whitish poop; I figured she had been lying there and couldn't stand, so it got all over her. I put her in warm water in the kitchen, to wash it off and try to see past all that wonderful silkie fluff; same as when I've been checking her over all week, no problems I can see. I read on here that she might have a stuck egg. Since the bath she's been leaking a little whitish fluid at a time. I very gently put my finger in her vent, and I didn't feel anything, but it seemed to help a lot of white fluid and some clumps of dried blood pass. I have not seen any blood in the chicken poop in the yard, or around her vent, otherwise.
    Is this a stuck egg? I'm going to give her another long soak and see how she does. She won't eat or drink. She CAN move and flap her wings, flex her legs, lift her head, and her eyes seem bright, but she's been sleeping this whole time, bundled in a towel in my lap. If it's a stuck egg, I'm worried she's exhausted. Can anyone tell me specifically where to feel for an egg? I have tried, but found no weird lumps or anything.
    Thanks.

2. Manyfur

Manyfur Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2010
    Well, the poor thing died last night during the 2 hours I slept, so I guess it's immaterial. I'd still welcome any thoughts. At least I know in the future that these are serious symptoms to look out for. I guess this happens to most people when they're just starting out at some point, but it's **** sad to see.

3. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    I'm so sorry for your loss...I wish I knew how to help, but I don't have any experience in this area. Maybe look at threads on internal laying or eggs broken inside.

4. RNM Chicks

RNM Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    Webster Groves, MO
    So terribly sorry. They are so dear to us. Hopefully someone with a lot of experience can shed some light on this sad event. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by