not sure where to place this -- any idea of what kind of bird

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by herefordlovinglady, Jul 15, 2010.

1. herefordlovinglady

herefordlovinglady It Is What It Is

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
    So going through the pastures tonight, came across these birds hanging out in our almost dried up pond (yep we need lots of rain). anyway any idea of what the birds are with the long dark beaks?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    The all white one is a Snowy Egret (crane family), the others are some other kind of Egret?

3. lorieMN

lorieMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN
    we have something similier here,we call them sandpipers..dont know the scientific name for them..the tall white ones are snowy egrets

4. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    Any possibility they are juvenile snowy egrets? I know their beak can be black when they are younger, but I don't remember black feathers too.

5. Turkeyrangler

Turkeyrangler Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    By Lake Superior
    The ones with the black beaks and heads are wood storks. They are endangered so you have a nice bunch of them there in that pond.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  6. verthandi

May 18, 2007
    Maine
  7. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    I was gonna say they were storks. I wonder if the all white ones are one sex and the ones with white and black are the other sex?

8. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    The tall white ones with the black legs are Great Egrets

In the second pic the smallest white birds near the shore on the right are probably Cattle Egrets, and the rest are Storks

9. herefordlovinglady

herefordlovinglady It Is What It Is

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
    Quote:Yep, wood storks, thanks for the link. Is there any reason to call someone and let them know we have so many since they are endangered? Just a thought if they were tracking them or something.

10. verthandi

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    Quote:Yep, wood storks, thanks for the link. Is there any reason to call someone and let them know we have so many since they are endangered? Just a thought if they were tracking them or something.

My State's Fish and Game department were ecstatic when they found out I had peregrine falcons on my land. They came and did a series of photograph. Might be worth a call.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by