Not sure where to post this so....

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by j71, Jun 24, 2010.

1. j71

j71 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2009
    Its ending up here....

This is my hometown and this story takes place about 1mile from my house.....Had NO idea......VIVA LA CHICKENS!!!

If you see the man..................[​IMG] RUUN!!!! [​IMG]

PS...I really have trouble fully buying into this story....we have NUMEROUS Coons, I mean....Might as well be called Little Egg Coonvile and more FOX around then you really could care for....awesome looking lil creatures but.....please keep away from mah birds!

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/weird/Chickens-Overrun-Local-Neighborhood--96929664.html

2. cterbizan

cterbizan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Aww I would have caught them kept the nice ones and if there were some that would attack me or my kids it would have been in my freeze (by my husband) I couldn't do it and not sure how I would feel about eating it either lol.

3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Wow. That sure sounds like a lot of chickens. I have to laugh, my little OEGB roo started crowing when he heard the roos on the video!! [​IMG] I hope if they do catch them, that they go to a nice farm. From what I can see, they are beautiful birds. [​IMG]

4. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Gotta love it... Roosters and Chickens running loose...
    It just woulda killed him to say roosters and hens wouldn't it... or just chickens...

Anyone else not notice a fence? In the yards of the whiners that is. They have their property backed right up to the woods, but don't bother with a fence. So, they don't care if possums, coons, skunks, foxes, etc come dig in their trash... nope they'd rather gripe about a bird.

Makes me want to capture all the freaking mockingbirds down here and send them to him... THEN he'll know annoying. [​IMG]

Is the original owner still around, or did they move and just left their pets behind... said they decided to 'return them to the wild" UGH, what a jerk... not even thinking of the neighbors there, but that's a mean thing to do to any animal that's been human raised... they're used to protection against predators, it can be hard to unlearn that dependence. Bad owner Bad.

5. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:Well I don't know, most of the birds appear to be game crosses. Games can survive like that without a problem, they haven't been bred like most of the production/show breeds so still have their wild instincts if let out to fend for themselves. I know of a man down the road who let his chickens free range, I believe they have been taking care of themselves for upwards of 20-30 years without human intervention.. They too, are games crossed with yard fowl my grandfather gave him, he knew the man by growing up with his kids.

I do agree though that neighbors should have been thought of before doing so. We're in the middle of the country, on a dirt road, surrounded by woods, and 30 minutes from town. So it isn't as big of a deal for the people, there are only maybe 20 homes on our road, my family (4 houses) and then the old mans family further down the road and a chicken farm that raises birds/eggs for Tyson.
    -Daniel

6. cterbizan

cterbizan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Hey I started with 2 chickens that were let loose by our landlord because they were abandon and they were 1 welsummer and 1 rhode island white they were the two to survive out of 30 and they climbed our tree out front at night to stay away from predators. They did it for at least 8 months by themselves. I think some chickens are smarter than we think.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  7. j71

j71 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2009
    What I find hard to believe though....is that they are not getting attacked by coons or fox! They are all over this area of ours, reffered to as the Pinelands of NJ.....The 'Jersey Devil' lives here.... [​IMG]

I could almost guarentee...and I live in the same area, very wooded....everyone has 1acre minimum.....If I leave my birds out tonight....they are gone in the AM. Feathers n dust.......

Maybe Ill take a trip down the road and simply capture them all? [​IMG]

I win.....? I WIN....?!?!?!? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by