Not sure where to post this..

ALDavis

In the Brooder
Sep 27, 2015
Tennessee
Keeping my chickens in a big old barn stall, 2 doors leading outside with 3 exterior walls, one internal that joins to an additional stall. No power to the barn and no way to run an extension cord because the dogs will chew it. Any idea on the best way to winterize as it'll be cold before we know it.

Full grown Chickens generally do well in cold weather. Make sure they have a place off of the ground. Some nest boxes with hay in them.
They should be fine. I loose more chicken in hot weather than I do in cold.

Steven

Thank you for the response. They have a large roost and several other places to roost at along with nest boxes, I just didn't know if I needed to be concerned past that.

Hi! A lot depends on where you live. My hens are also in a big ole barn stall. Very drafty for ventilation. My frigid winter temp is at the very worst 28deg F for a couple days.
cool.png
If you live where it is bitter cold for long periods, there are very specific guidelines. Some breeds are much more cold hearty than others. Have you shouted out on your local threads to ask what your neighbors do? Here's a link to help you find answers specific to your area. Just type in your state. https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you
Best of luck!

If the stall area is drafty, line with straw or hay bales. They like scratching in them, playing on them and the bales will block wind. You could open them up and use one as a starter for DLM, too.

Our barn was never heated and the chickens did fine. When it got really cold - single digits - and wet due to sleet/rain/freezing rain, we shut the barn doors. Make sure they always have feed and thawed out water - carry hot water out to thaw whatever system you are using - the big black feed tubs for livestock work well as you can dump them over and use a booted foot to knock the ice out of them. Then refill with the warm water.

Other than that, I agree with Mutt Farm to find out what others in your area do.

I'm in middle TN so we don't exactly have it too cold for too long but the weather loves to flip flop and do whatever the heck it feels like hour to hour. I have a hanging bucket with chicken nipples currently for my water system and I love it but I know it'll freeze. I've considered trying to screw the nipples into a cooler since its insulted and I think it'd stand a better chance of not freezing but I'm concerned that the residual water would freeze in the nipple itself anyway.

Back
Top Bottom