Not sure where to post

Mamatomany123

Crowing
Mar 14, 2020
West texas
I'm not sure if this is the right lace but here it goes. I have a Brody who has been sitting on some eggs for around 18-19 days. They a seem to be coming along great. I only gave her 4 as she'll be a fist time mama and I didn't want to overwhelm her. When she first started sitting I tried to move her to a dog crate to make it safer once the eggs hatched but she wouldn't settle in and just kept pacing wanting to hurt back to the nesting box. I put her eggs back in there and she settled fine. But I have never let a hen hatch before and I have no idea what to do. Once they hatch should I move them? Wi she keeps them safe from the others? My older hens are pretty gentle with any new babies but I have a few adolescent pullets who are in the teenager Fiesty faze. They were below her on the pecking order before she started to sit but I'm not sure if that changes while she's broody. Any tips on what I should do? Or will she just know what to do?

I'm not sure if this is the right lace but here it goes. I have a Brody who has been sitting on some eggs for around 18-19 days. They a seem to be coming along great. I only gave her 4 as she'll be a fist time mama and I didn't want to overwhelm her. When she first started sitting I tried to move her to a dog crate to make it safer once the eggs hatched but she wouldn't settle in and just kept pacing wanting to hurt back to the nesting box. I put her eggs back in there and she settled fine. But I have never let a hen hatch before and I have no idea what to do. Once they hatch should I move them? Wi she keeps them safe from the others? My older hens are pretty gentle with any new babies but I have a few adolescent pullets who are in the teenager Fiesty faze. They were below her on the pecking order before she started to sit but I'm not sure if that changes while she's broody. Any tips on what I should do? Or will she just know what to do?
If it was me I'd separate the mother hen and her chicks just to be safe but I know that lots of people keep them together with the rest of the flock. I've seen friends do it and they've been just fine.
Supply chick crumb for the chicks to feed from. Feeding the hen and chicks is much easier if they are in their own little cage because otherwise all the other hens will start eating their food.

I struggle to explain things so I'm going to post a really helpful link
https://www.greenwillowhomestead.com/blog/how-to-care-for-a-broody-hen-and-her-chicks

I had the same issue. I just put the eggs back in the nest to hatch, & will move mama hen, & chicks into a small coop away from the rest of the flock.

If it was me I'd separate the mother hen and her chicks just to be safe but I know that lots of people keep them together with the rest of the flock. I've seen friends do it and they've been just fine.
Supply chick crumb for the chicks to feed from. Feeding the hen and chicks is much easier if they are in their own little cage because otherwise all the other hens will start eating their food.

I struggle to explain things so I'm going to post a really helpful link
https://www.greenwillowhomestead.com/blog/how-to-care-for-a-broody-hen-and-her-chicks
Thank you. I just read the whole article. It definitely helped me understand my options. I think I'm going to move her after they hatch into the dog crate. I'll keep it closed for a bit then open it up and watch to make sure mama is keeping them safe. Our run is plenty big (50x35) with 22 chickens ranging from 2 years to 2 months.

Yes, I think I'll move them to the crate after they hatch for a few days the open it u and watch to be sure mama is doing OK keeping them safe.
I had 3 different broodies, & all were desperate to go back to the coop. So, that's what I did.

I always let mama hen raise the peeps to about 4 weeks before moving them to flock.

I had 3 different broodies, & all were desperate to go back to the coop. So, that's what I did.

I always let mama hen raise the peeps to about 4 weeks before moving them to flock.
I have a separate section I can put her in that I usually put my chicks in. I also have a part of the run sectioned off for when I move the chicks outside. Usually by 3 weeks I have them fully integrated. I'll maybe try her in those spot with the chicks until I see the dynamic of the flock with them.

I have a separate section I can put her in that I usually put my chicks in. I also have a part of the run sectioned off for when I move the chicks outside. Usually by 3 weeks I have them fully integrated. I'll maybe try her in those spot with the chicks until I see the dynamic of the flock with them.
That should work.

Well chicks hatched and mama attacked them. I heard them peeping from the shell so I sat and waited just to make sure everything went smoothly. 1 chick hatched and she started pecking and biting it. I waited a few second just to see if she would realize it was her chick and stop. She didn't so I immediately removed it. Next 3 hatched and same thing. I moved them all to our brooder and she just continued to sit on now hatched eggs. She's now in broody jail. I wish it would have went differently but I'm glad I happened to be out there checking. I think she would have killed them if I wasn't.

Back
Top Bottom