1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Not sure where to put this but how are game hens different?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HeatherLynn, Mar 16, 2011.

1. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    I have a friend who has offered me some free game hens. Just by looks we are thinking old english maybe? Anywho he get them from a coworker who raises them. He keeps the roos but only keeps select hens. The rest my friend gets. I know I know. There is the potential for some not great vibes in this deal.

Anyway he has unloaded a huge number of hens on my friend who says they are all now laying and he cannot use or even give away enough of these eggs. Its a bit of a burden on him but he doesn't want to turn the hens away. At least this way he knows they are being taken care of. I told him I was looking for a several more layers to fill out my ranks and he offered me as many hens as I wanted for free. Just had to agree to provide a good home for them.

I have no issues doing this, I just wonder how they will integrate with the rest of my flock. I have ee's, australopes, rir, br's, bantams of all types, wyandottes, and ducks all in the same run. Am I going to have issues. According to him they are very tame. He handles them regularly and they are well cared for. Any particular behaviors that are going to cause a conflict? How is their egg laying.

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    There will be some fighting as they settle into flock. I suspect the ranks they achieve will be a little higher than their size would predict. In respect of egg output you maybe able to get anywhere from 80 to 160 eggs if they produce like those we kept in henhouse. Low number of eggs imposed in part owing to hens going broody so easily.

3. Okla-doodle-doo

Okla-doodle-doo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Portland,Tn
    -Garb them while you can! Game hens are vaulable in the right season. Also they are great to have around. They make great broodys and mommas. I would love to have a bunch. You can sometimes get mean ones but thats the case in every breed. And game hens are usually very pretty. Lucky You!

4. Okla-doodle-doo

Okla-doodle-doo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Portland,Tn
    I meant Grab!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by