Not sure where to put this, roo with purple hints on comb sometimes

chickmomma03

Songster
Aug 8, 2015
North Carolina
My rooster Oreo sometimes has purple on his comb, it SEEMS to only be when he's in a foul mood. Sometimes there really isn't any purple on it, other times just at the back and a couple of the tips have a little purplish to them, sometimes there's a little more purple, but it's never a large portion of the comb. I thought about googling it, but sometimes google can be my worst enemy so I thought I'd ask here if anyone has any opinion on it. I'm not really sure what forum to put it in because I'm not sure that it's actually a problem.

I got him as a day old, later learned he came from a hatchery, he'll be 5mos old on Friday, he eats well, drinks well, is very active (and a bit ornery sometimes), his poops look good, breathing is fine, feathers look great, etc. I don't feed any no-no treats to them, and he is the only one this happens to. I just want to make sure it's not a problem/illness/defect in him. Thoughts?

If he is alert active, eating and drinking, then he is probably fine. Some roosters will show some occasional darkening of the comb, especially the tips or toward the back, and most times it's not serious. Make sure that it looks normal at other times, if not there could be a heart problem. My head rooster's comb tends to look dark on the tips in the cold of winter, but right now it is red.

The pic above is what his comb looks like most of the time. For some reason my browser crashes every time I try to click upload now (idk what's up with that) so I have to select a previously uploaded file, ugh! I'll see if I can find one where it has some purple on it.

Back
Top Bottom