Not Sure Which Topic This Should Go In.....but

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by radiodog, Nov 9, 2010.

1. radiodog

radiodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2010
    Summerfield NC
    a friend gave me two hamburgs (roo and pullet) that have humpbacks. the roo not so bad; the pullet's hump is to such a degree that her tail feathers are angled to the left side of her body and almost touch her left wing feathers. i assume this is a genetic abnormality as roo & pullet are from same parents. is there a name for this...other than just humpback? i'm just curious. both will have a good home with me.

2. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for giving a good home to these two!
    Sorry, but I know nothing about your problem... hopefully someone else on here will.

3. edselpdx

edselpdx Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Scoliosis?

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I've never heard of it, but could it have been a hatch defect rather than a genetic abnormality (kind of like crooked toes)?

Good for you for giving them a home. Do they manage to get around alright? Can the hen lay with out difficulty?

5. radiodog

Jan 1, 2010
    Summerfield NC
    the pullet/hen is old enough to lay an egg but so far has not. the roo appears incapable of fully extending his neck to let out a good crow..he softly crows a kind of a cock-a-doodle ackkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk. the girls like him. both get around ok, eat, drink and can fly. the pullet/hen was picked on a lot at her former home; with me its pretty much a mellow flock so I think she is happier.

a hatch defect?...interesting. the humps are midway down their backs; not near the neck area.

6. radiodog

Jan 1, 2010
    Summerfield NC
    the pullet/hen is old enough to lay an egg but so far has not. the roo appears incapable of fully extending his neck to let out a good crow..he softly crows a kind of a cock-a-doodle ackkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk. the girls like him. both get around ok, eat, drink and can fly. the pullet/hen was picked on a lot at her former home; with me its pretty much a mellow flock so I think she is happier.

a hatch defect?...interesting. the humps are midway down their backs; not near the neck area.

7. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I would also guess it's a scoliosis-like thing. There's no way to know for sure without an X-ray.

I'm not certain, but it would seem it was genetic?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by