1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Not sure who is laying the white egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mypetsrchickens, Oct 20, 2016.

1. mypetsrchickens

mypetsrchickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2016
    North Carolina
    [​IMG]
    I've got a mystery egg. I did vent checks last night and the only birds showing signs of laying are the bantam cochin and the salmon faverolle. I know who is laying the other 3 brown eggs. I have no idea where that white egg is coming from. I would suspect the cochin but it's a pretty decent sized egg for a bantam. I thought salmon faverolles laid pinkish eggs. I have 3 polish but they all still had dry vents even though they are old enough to be laying. The 2 EE's I have also both had dry vents but of are laying age as well. Any thoughts on who might be my white egg layer?

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    I would say the right egg is the salmon faverolle

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    From what I can see, that's not a white egg, it's cream. So, the Faverolles is your layer, most likely.

4. mypetsrchickens

Apr 27, 2016
    North Carolina
    I have 3 other brown egg layers laying that have been laying for a while. They consist of 2 black australorps and a barred rock. I'm fairly certain those eggs are from those 3 birds. They've been laying consistently for several months now.

I originally thought it was cream as well but next to the brown eggs it looks stark white. It could be the lighting in that picture. I'll post another picture of the egg from 2 days ago in the carton.

5. mypetsrchickens

Apr 27, 2016
    North Carolina
    [​IMG]

Well, it kinda looks cream in this picture too. haha! Maybe you're right. Maybe it is the salmon faverolle giving us that egg.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    It's a brown/tinted egg layer, not a white. congrat on your Faverolles laying!

7. mypetsrchickens

Apr 27, 2016
    North Carolina
    Thank you!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by