Not sure who is laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Adora, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Adora

Adora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Southeast NC
    Ok, I have 4 gals, 1 black sex link (bsl) 1 golden sex link (gsl) and a silkie.
    I've been getting eggs for a week now from goldie, and one of the bsl, I have gotten some nice brown eggs, I've been finding some tan eggs, they are not much smaller (if any really) than the brown ones. I was thinking at first that it was possibly one of my bsl gals laying it, but after finding Bigeese (My son named her) the silkie in the laying box laying on a brown egg, so I took it, (pretty sure it was one of my bsl's egg, I caught her in the laying box during the egg song today, and it was a nice brown egg), there was no egg song for the 2nd egg. She was the last one I saw in the nesting box. So I'm wondering if the egg most likely came from the silkie. All my other gals are pullets, they just started laying in the past few weeks, they're about 6 mo old, I don't know how old the silkie is, I got her from a neighbor, I was just guaranteed a silkie pair (roo, and a female).

2. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    My Silkie that is laying lays a cream colored/almost white egg. Also, Silkie eggs are noticeably smaller than sex-link eggs. Hope that helps... [​IMG]

3. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    My lil Brahma was pretending to lay eggs for a month, singing and all. Ya can't go by who is in the nest when you find the egg.

4. Adora

Adora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Southeast NC
    Yeah, these eggs are a cream/tan color. My other pullets just started laying, and their eggs are kinda small right now. My brown eggs seem to be just a bit fatter, than the cream one. I like the thought of my silkie laying [​IMG] I want her to have a nice clutch of chicks next year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by