Not sure who to thank for the idea...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ChanceRider, Oct 20, 2008.

1. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    I've seen different versions of roosts and poop-boards or boxes that seemed really efficient. Our coop is only 4' x 8' so space was at a premium and some of the designs I've seen wouldn't work for us. The roost in our coop was already in place and the birds use it nightly. So... we mounted a shelf just under the roost, and placed under-the-bed storage containers on the shelf. The containers have a layer of pine shavings and a dusting of DE in them. Every few days I add another layer of shavings and another dusting of DE. Once a week or thereabouts I dump the containers and start fresh. No flies, and the boxes really cut down on the poop in the coop [​IMG].

Sooo, many thanks to those of you who have posted pics of your roosts and poop boards/boxes. I wouldn't have thought of this myself.

Here's a pic of the roost and poop boxes, mounted over their newly installed nexting boxes.

[​IMG]

2. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    Very nice, it looks great!

3. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Nice design, I think I should retro fit my roosts for a poop-board or poop-bin.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Great idea!!!. I just bought a new coop and am looking for ideas. I'm also going to modify my existing coop. Thanks for the pics. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    Excellent idea chance!

do you find that the birds walk in the poopy boxes at all?

6. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Very nice chance. I need to add a poo board or bin like you did. Did you make your nestboxes?
    I love the blue color [​IMG]

Nancy

7. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

Nice design that should make cleaning a lot easier.

8. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    Quote:Thanks Nancy! A non-chicken owning friend made the boxes for me. The one thing I need to change is the perch bar in front of the box opening... right now it's a piece of PVC pipe that the birds can't get a grip on. When the girls are closer to laying age I'll remove the PVC and replace it with a piece of 1" x 3" board across the front. LOL, for now it works well because the chickens are getting used to the boxes being in their coop, without being able to get in!

9. cyanne

cyanne Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    This is very similar to the design I have, except that instead of shavings and DE I fill the tubs with Stall Dri. It's a product made from lay and DE that looks very much like cat litter. The poo falls in and dries out, then once a week or so I use a litter box scooper and just scoop out all the dried poo, leaving behind clean litter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by