Not sure why so many people have neighbors who complain about roosters

roz

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 2, 2010
MA
It just occured to me today as I have been listening to one of my hens for most of the day, why it is that some neighbors are against roosters because they are too loud. We dont have any roosters, but thankfully our neighbors have been nice enough so far not to complain about the noises, because we have a very loud wyandotte who has decided to do the egg song to announce any of the hens eggs. So far we only have 3-4 lay each day, but I can only imagine what kind of ruckus she'll create when all 10 of them are laying eggs. Personally I think it's adorable...hopefully everyone else will too.

I love a rooster crow in the morning! When we went to Hawaii a few years back we got to our rooms fairly late at night... the following morning we woke up to several roosters crowing! It felt just like home... loved it!
big_smile.png

I am trying to convince my husband to move to a town where we can have some acreage, and if that happens, I plan to get more chickens and have a rooster or two. We have accidentally had 4 roosters from the lot we got from our friend, and had to return them to her. We were very attached to the last one. He was a white Langshan and his name was Snow White...so much for our little princess! I love to hear a good crow too!

I wish I could have kept one of the two roosters we got by chance in our spring pullets (it really did work out to a 10% failure rate on sexing). I love the sound of a rooster crowing, and hope that some day we will be able to have more property, out aways, where we can have a rooster or two. It just doesn't seem right without one.

My next door neighbor has a rooster that crows starting at 4 am and goes til dark. It doesnt bother me but I now the neighbor behind us has said something to her about it. So far my roos dont crow til I let them out of the coop so if I dont let them out til 8 or 9 they dont crow til then. I have asked the neighbors if mine bother them they said they didnt even know I had chickens.

My roo only crows when he sees light. Whether it be daylight, or a light left on by a neighbor. And none of my neighbors mind him at all. They love the chickens. And we have close by neighbors on all sides. He mainly starts his crowing around 6 or 7, but lays off as the sun sets.

Back
Top Bottom