Not sure

Mandykay

Chirping
Jan 15, 2021
Kansas
So I got this little guy at TSC, his name is Ember. I am fairly sure he is a cochin bantam. I am however starting to question whether he is a frizzle or a frazzle. His feathers don't seem particularly fragile but he sure does seem to loose a lot of them. And they have way more curl than his brother.
20210813_191254.jpg
Any thoughts on whether he could be a frazzle? Also what color is he? I can't seem to find anything that matches the pattern he has.

In my opinion he is a frazzle. His curling is extreme, and losing feathers is a hallmark of a bird having a double dose of the frizzle gene, which is what frazzles are in a nutshell. If he is otherwise healthy then you should be okay with him, but he may need protection in winter if you live somewhere that gets very cold winters.

His color is blue, but with gold or silver leakage on his head, it looks like.

In my opinion he is a frazzle. His curling is extreme, and losing feathers is a hallmark of a bird having a double dose of the frizzle gene, which is what frazzles are in a nutshell. If he is otherwise healthy then you should be okay with him, but he may need protection in winter if you live somewhere that gets very cold winters.

His color is blue, but with gold or silver leakage on his head, it looks like.
I agree.

Well hell, I didn't think it was possible to get a frazzle from a hatchery. I would think they would be more careful in their breeding. He seems ok for the most part. He definitely has some quirks, but we love him just the way he is. I am fully aware that breeding him is out of the question, which kinda sucks. Looking at some nonstandard colors could he be a lemon blue?

Well hell, I didn't think it was possible to get a frazzle from a hatchery. I would think they would be more careful in their breeding. He seems ok for the most part. He definitely has some quirks, but we love him just the way he is. I am fully aware that breeding him is out of the question, which kinda sucks. Looking at some nonstandard colors could he be a lemon blue?
Why cant you breed him? I never owned a frazzle...

Back
Top Bottom