Not Sure

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kedxon, Sep 13, 2012.

1. kedxon

kedxon Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2010
    I have new chicks, 9 days old. I have chickens before until a racoon killed them all. So Sad!!! I have never had one that is not growing, she stands a lot , but she eats and drinks. I do make sure she gets fuilds with a dropper one drop at a time though. I have 6 chicks the other are growing and act just fine. I do not notice blood in any of the poop, but the one not doing well does poop, but small amount, but she is small. Like I said she has hardy grown. I've noticed when she stands she is a little wooby. I really am not sure what to do, I see some threads say she could have coccidosis, but not sure about that either. Her poop does have some brown in it but I'm not sure that is blood, its not red. If any one has any ideals I welcome them and Thank you.

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

How does her crop feel?

3. kedxon

May 1, 2010
    I compared her to another chick feels alike. I forgot to say I have them on sav-a-chick electrolytes and probiotics.

4. soler

soler Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    is she on medicated feed or regular? it could still be cocci, it's hard to say.

Some chicks do grow slower than others, are her feathers coming in at all?

5. kedxon

May 1, 2010
    Oh I forgot to say one of the chicks died the first three days of getting them. She would never drink or eat from the start. I gave her water with a dropper also, but she just could not make it. This little one did have pasty butt.

6. kedxon

May 1, 2010
    Layena medicated chick starter mixed with Manna medicated chick starter. Some one at Tractor Supplt thought the Manna was more medicated. so I'm mixing.

7. aoxa

Pasty butt won't kill them unless you let it crust over and block the vent. I get quite a few that have it. Mostly silkies.

Even with medicated starter - they could still get Cocci. How is their set up? Can you post pictures? I'd like to see the size difference.

I wouldn't be using a dropper for water. Just let her drink on her own. Dip her beak in the water a few times and she should get the hang of it. Since she seems small and wobbly - this reminds me of chicks that had an impacted crop from eating shavings. What is their bedding? I recommend paper towel for the first week, and after that 100% pine shavings or sand.

No treats unless you have grit available.

8. kedxon

May 1, 2010
    feathers maybe the tips of her wings, she is small hard to tell. Do the hatcheries every send batams instead of standard. Just thinking out loud.

9. kedxon

May 1, 2010
    They are on shavings, but she has not eaten enough to even think she ate a shaving. They are in a rabbit cage in a swimming pool in my study. I am putting in the pool with netting over them this weekend since they have grown. This is what I have done with two set of new chicks. I know cocci is contagious would the others be showing so signs by now?

10. aoxa

Quite possible.

Is her size your only concern?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by