Not taking sides, but....

Discussion in 'Quail' started by shelleyd2008, Jan 14, 2011.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  2. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:Amen! Like when people say button quail MUST be housed indoors. My pens are in an enclosed garage, with heat to keep them warm. They lay an egg a day, and are lookin' good! Happy as clams! They don't "have" to be inside to be happy.

3. Sumatra503

Sumatra503 Kozy Orchard Farms

Sep 24, 2010
    Quote:Amen! Like when people say button quail MUST be housed indoors. My pens are in an enclosed garage, with heat to keep them warm. They lay an egg a day, and are lookin' good! Happy as clams! They don't "have" to be inside to be happy.

No, they just have to be warm. Mine are outside, but I have heat lamp on them.

4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    No one has to do anything. But one has to consider what is best for the breed too. There is a LOT of misinformation on the net and some people stick to that information rather than people who actually worked with the birds. But as an owner, you are allowed to do whatever you want, even if the bird suffers.

And garages count as indoor facilities...where do you think I house my quail [​IMG] Heated of course but still [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  6. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:The best I ever read was By Dr. Leyland Hayes he mentioned there only rule for birds is there are no rules what works for one in the dessert in AZ will probably not work here in the swamp below sea level where I am. LOL for where I am tho my Bobs seem to do better in pairs then trios ,I HAVE A FEW REALLY MEAN HENS WHO JUST WANT THE MAN ALL TO THEMSELVES ROFL then when I feed them they are the sweetest ones [​IMG]

7. jm93030

jm93030 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    I dont have much experince in quails and I come here every time I need an advice .
    for me it does not matter the words they use to explain me how to proceed.

They are just trying to help

at the end every owner will take the best decision.

But it happens that when people becomes an expert ,than they dont want to be told what to do.

Have you ever heard that babys and kids are like sponges and they learn so fast .
    you know why?

Because babys and kids know that they dont know everything , and are always open minded.

In adults is the opposite sometimes we belive we know so much of something that we dont want to listen anymore , and guess what

we stop from learning.

I belive is wise to listen to all kind of people kids , adults ,women , men . who knows ,we may learn something , but every person will have their own way to say it, and is you who has to understand what they mean.

8. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    I find it best not to give advice at all anymore. Because no one wants my advice anyway.

9. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Funny somebody got offended but particular wording (have to). People are coming to this board for advice and in most cases they are getting better advice than on some of those idiotic websites, where some "writer" writes about species he or she never seen in their lifetime, also websites selling one or two chickens or ducks for extraorbitant prices attracing pet market often peddle bad info too.

People have egos, and as they gain more experience with birds over the time they are convinced that it's their way or highway. That's just human nature. If somebody is asking for advice they get it, if they don't like it nobody forces anybody to accept it.

I personally try never say "you have to" or "you should" but just say "That's the way I am doing it" without any extra comments. I think this way is easier to acknowledge an opinion wheter accepting it or not.

However I am not offended by "you have to" or "you should" etc. After all if you buy a book about "How to (anything including raising poultry)" you'll get plenty of "you have to's" do's and dont's.

As for "problems" with extra males or females or whatever I do not have any since I eat my birds.

Note I did not say "you have to eat your birds" but I could .....

cause

10. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    YOUR POSTING IS "NOT TAKING SIDES" BUT YET YOU WRITE THIS...

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by