Not that we would do this but as a last resort....

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by amynbrent, Apr 14, 2011.

1. amynbrent

amynbrent Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Dryden, MI
    We have idiot neighbors that dont deserve to be pet owners. They let their dogs out about 5:00 a.m. and dont let them in until at least 11:00 at night winter, spring, summer,fall, rain, snow you name it they are out. The dogs have killed livestock and terrorize my kids and my dogs. Me as well as my neighbors have called animal control over and over. When they come out the owners are good for a little bit then it starts all over. If they hurt my kids I will shoot them but what if when I move my chicks to their coop and they are attacking them and we witness can we shoot? We live in a rural area and we get mixed answers. Trust me we are animal lovers this is something we dont want to do but they are chasing my kids and tackling them on their way down our drive just to get on the bus. I dont want to get slammed for asking just wondering if anyone has dealt with anything like this before?

2. TinkleTurkey

TinkleTurkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Palmdale
    I know its not the dog's fault that their owners aren't watching them, and this might sound harsh but try an air gun?
    Won't hurt em... Oh wait, IT WILL. but it wont cause any serious or long-lasting injury, and it'll teach em to stay off your property.

Although, how many warnings do they have until the dogs are confiscated? Maybe you should just continue to complain.

When I was a kid my mom "kidnapped" a dog from a guy she knew who beat it and let it run loose. She gave it to someone who lived on a farm.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

In my state it's legal to shoot any dog that is attacking or harrassing my livestock. If dogs were doing that to my kids on their way to the bus they'd also be gone.

4. amynbrent

Mar 15, 2011
    Dryden, MI
    We are using a bb gun. We have not got them at close range so I know it's not hurting them. We also know it's the owners fault and not the dogs. I've tried to catch them but they are smart and wont come near me. Everyone has their dogs on an electric fence and kept where they should be and these people dont care. I have been calling every day 3 weeks ago for 2 weeks they came everyday and saw the owners are never home and still did nothing. I forgot to say last year they had a puppy and he was killed by my kids school bus and they just went out and got another dog.

5. Emmalion

Emmalion Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    Best thing to send a message is to borrow a paintball gun. This way when you load it up with paint it goes home all nice pretty colors and they KNOW someone did something to it.
    Now if they register the fact that it was because the dogs were out and about doing things they should not of been doing one only knows but the paint will get a point across. Not only to the dogs but to the owners as well. Make sure its something bright maybe florescent pink [​IMG]

6. TinkleTurkey

TinkleTurkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Palmdale
    Put up a fancy high-security fence and send em the bill! ha

7. Emmalion

Emmalion Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    Quote:I would love to do that at my house... They wont even pay their fines so no fence for me lol

8. amynbrent

Mar 15, 2011
    Dryden, MI
    Security fence on 3 acres...nice and expensive...that's an idea![​IMG]

9. FMAFarms

FMAFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Rural Michigan
    Not sure what state you are in, but here in Michigan we have what's call the Castle Law: if anyone or anything is perceived to be a threat to you, your family, or your property on your property, you have a right to use lethal force to protect what yours. If your neighbors have done nothing about their dogs, if Animal Control has done nothing, and if the dogs continually come on your property and terrorize your kids and your animals, then you have the right to take matters into your own hands. Check to see if your state has a Castle Law. Many states do.

10. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Be careful about shooting the dogs with a bb gun. In many area's you can be charged with animal cruelty.

If you don't want to SSS (shoot, shovel + shut up) might try the paintball gun. Stings and dog goes home nice and messy for the owner to clean up, especially if they go in the house.

Otherwise, in most rural areas you can legally shoot a dog that is attacking or harrassing your animals.

If dogs were chasing and knocking down my kids on my own property those dogs would be dead. If animal control is not giving you satifactory solutions call the cops. I would NOT tolerate dogs knocking down my kids or in any other way causing problems on my property.

When all ese fails SSS is your friend. I don't like doing it but I have no tolerance for dogs aggressive to people and livestock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by