1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Not the brightest chicken in the flock.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Jeezmcrow, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Jeezmcrow

Jeezmcrow Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2010
    Tacoma, WA
    And by that post title Iam refering to myself. I have 3 hens, a Redcap, a Barred rock and a Americauna all about a year-year and 1/2. I got 3 month old chicks yesterday and so I just built an extension on the coop with new nest boxes. When the chicks got here I stuck them stright into their new sleeping area and let them be. So far the older ladies have left them alone to eat and drink and that really puzzles me. Other birds I have got have been full grown and the establishment of the pecking order started right away. Do older hens tollerate babies a little better then new adults to the flock? The chicks came to me last at the last second so I didnt have a lot of time to plan. Any Ideas? They have a area that is about 30x30 so there is plenty of room and other things for the older hens to do besides be mean to the little ones. Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG] My adult birds have tolerated my younger ones for the most part, but they live in seperate coops, so the chicks aren't all up in the faces of the adults. I would be leary about leaving the little ones with the adults. You can't watch them 24/7 and the hens might decide they don't like the newcomers after all.

3. Jeezmcrow

Jeezmcrow Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2010
    Tacoma, WA
    Mr. T, the white lady that is my avatar is my newest hen. She was at the bottom of the order and while she is tollerated and does roost with the others at night she is a lone wolf. But strangely, as I have been watching her this morning the new chicks seem to like her and are sorta following her around. Is this something anyone else has seen?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by