Not This Time!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by gamebirdboy, Aug 11, 2011.

1. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    I was setting on the deck and I heard birds fly everywhere, so I jumped up and ran to the quail pens. I saw two coons under the cage and one on top. I grabbed my bow and put a carbon shaft into the one on top and then I got one underneath the pen while he was running off. Does anyone know how to keep the coons from pulling birds feet through the wire? I have wire wrapped around it but they keep digging under it! [​IMG]

2. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Dedgum, Rambo...........sounds like you're a major threat to the ringtail population with that bow... [​IMG]

3. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    I had coon digging in on chicken coops, I laid down wire on the ground and attached it several inches high on the sides. I have not had one dig in since. They aren't smart enough to go back 2 feet and start digging.

4. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Robert, have you tried a live-trap? I (think) I remember somebody on here saying their critters were a little too sly to fall for the live-trap. May have been you..... It works here. Set the sardines in there, and expect a critter come sunrise....

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    You could make a 2 x 4 frame, build it heavy and thick, and put hardware cloth on the bottom on the ground. Attach the wire you have wrapped around, beneath your pen to this frame. Coons can't get thru the under wire. I am a fan of railroad ties. Heavy and thick. If you have any of those laying around, you could cut them to fit under the pens, bury them deep and do the same as I suggested here with the hardware cloth on the ground. Good luck!

6. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    Quote:Quote:[​IMG] yeh, and he forgot the part about, camo'd his face and ripped off his shirt running towards them screaming "not my birdsssss!"...

I gotta catch a ride to this flea market he keeps talking about, I gotta meet this kid... sounds like one of my brothers. 2 shots, 2 kills, with a Bow... [​IMG]

7. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Leg Hold Traps In The Area Where They Are Digging

8. snyd08

snyd08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    use footholds not too big tho! THEY WILL chew their paws off to get loose. and i mean within a few hours in the night you'll have a coon caught and escaped with his paw left for you. smalller footsets will prevent this by keeping the coon from getting to his paw itself. still when setting your trap make sure you check it REGULARLY....coming from a longtime foothold trapper and box trapper, a box trap in the off season is what i use. i just recently caught 5 coons in a week on cat food in a box trap.(i have every bait i could possibly use during furtakers/trapper sesaon and cat food works the best for coon...) [​IMG] wish i could catch them like that during furtakers season.

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Is it a raised cage? If so, put a false wire floor parallel to the real floor, a few inches lower. Then they won't be able to reach the birds' feet.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  10. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:1 TINY DIFFERENCE.... HE AINT IN IT FOR THE HIDE... A COON WITH A FRESHLY CHEWED OFF FOOT IS A DEAD COON AND THATS THE MAIN GOAL HERE [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by