NOT TO BROODY

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RIVERA69R, Aug 13, 2008.

1. RIVERA69R

RIVERA69R Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    VENICE FL
    Im getting things ready to order my first set of chicken and i live in town so looking for docile and friendly behaviors. I am leaning toward Buff orphintons, my only concern is i dont want ones that are to BROODY, i hear they get quite grumpy and loud and i dont want my kid getting to bit up when collecting eggs and advise to aid in my decision would be great thanks

2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    One of my four Buff Orps has gone broody three times in her first year. And yes, she was very loud and grumpy and disrupted the flock. And she stopped laying during that time.

Try a breed that doesn't go broody.

3. RIVERA69R

RIVERA69R Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    VENICE FL
    Thanks for the quick reply any suggestions on some breeds to think about?

4. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Silkies, Cochins, and Game hens have the reputation for being broody like the Orpingtons. So you might want to avoid them.

As for what breeds to pick as nonbroodies, I can't wait to see what others say. I have some Blue Andalusians, and they aren't supposed to be broody, but they don't fit your other criteria. They are not docile at all. They are crazy and loud, and I love them! But not good birds for town living, in my opinion.

5. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I don't think Sex-links are prone to going broody and they are generally very docile and friendly, mine are. Australorps are wonderfully docile and friendly and aren't supposed to be a broody breed... however, I have four and one of them has gone broody twice in a year.

So, even though a breed is not supposed to be a broody breed... you may just get a hen that didn't read the manual! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by