Not to sure what gender my 12 week old chicken is

ChickenFriends_689

In the Brooder
Nov 19, 2022
My Isabella Brahma is 12 weeks turning 13 weeks tomorrow, by the look of it we presumed that it was a boy because it was bigger then the rest and has a cockerel looking face, but he hasn’t crowed yet and is almost 13 weeks. That got us thinking could it possibly be a pullet. Boy or girl we are keeping them regardless because they are part of the family haha, but we are very curious on the gender and was wondering if any one would be able to tell by looking at these photos.

Thanks
D1022F2C-92DC-4D9B-A487-4843DE50CFCB.jpeg
7BB5711F-5813-41BE-B7D1-04E308731022.jpeg
137331F5-F563-497A-A0F4-97F41062DB4B.jpeg

It's kind of in between, and I don't think the answer will be apparent for at least another couple of weeks. Brahmas usually are slow to mature. Not sure male specific feathering will be present yet even if it is a cockerel.

I'm a little confused by the color. It looks lavender to me, not Isabel, but maybe that is because there isn't a full body picture.

It's kind of in between, and I don't think the answer will be apparent for at least another couple of weeks. Brahmas usually are slow to mature. Not sure male specific feathering will be present yet even if it is a cockerel.

I'm a little confused by the color. It looks lavender to me, not Isabel, but maybe that is because there isn't a full body picture.
Male specific feathering should be in from my experience. I agree with it not looking isabella. But perhaps in full body pictures it'll be more clear. :)

Can you post a picture of the whole body? From what I've read, Brahmas are a late to mature breed.

I feel like the comb and wattles would be a darker red if it was a cockerel. And the comb would be a little more developed.

But to be honest, I'm not totally sure!

Very cute though, and the coloring is just beautiful!
Can you post a picture of the whole body? From what I've read, Brahmas are a late to mature breed.

I feel like the comb and wattles would be a darker red if it was a cockerel. And the comb would be a little more developed.

My Isabella Brahma is 12 weeks turning 13 weeks tomorrow, by the look of it we presumed that it was a boy because it was bigger then the rest and has a cockerel looking face, but he hasn’t crowed yet and is almost 13 weeks. That got us thinking could it possibly be a pullet. Boy or girl we are keeping them regardless because they are part of the family haha, but we are very curious on the gender and was wondering if any one would be able to tell by looking at these photos.

ThanksView attachment 3327366View attachment 3327368View attachment 3327370

Hi thanks for your reply, the lady I bought them from said that they were Isabel but I’m not to sure, I’m not an expert on chicken breeds😂

Hi thanks for your reply, the lady I bought them from said that they were Isabel but I’m not to sure, I’m not an expert on chicken breeds😂

Hi thank you for your reply, unfortunately I don’t have the best whole body pictures of him, he is hard to get a picture of because he never stays still long enough to get a picture of haha, I’ll try and get some better pictures in the morning :)

Can you get a full body picture and a picture of the saddle area? :)
Hi thank you for your reply, unfortunately I don’t have the best whole body pictures of him, he is hard to get a picture of because he never stays still long enough to get a picture of haha, I’ll try and get some better pictures in the morning :)
65D793AF-E7A3-4B4A-8BF4-661A11A3C013.jpeg
A654E973-06B9-45EA-BDDF-8FF1D0DCF761.jpeg
81BA97BC-905B-4ACA-BCB1-70729DFF0A67.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom