Not to well chicken, potentially infectious coryza

Jen1989

In the Brooder
Apr 20, 2021
Hi everyone,
I have a 3yo cornish indian game bird called Penny who's not been doing too well today. Shes been sneezing for the past few days, I've had respiratory aid in her water, she had a full crop last night. I've also noticed this week small amounts of blood in some of her poop (see pic). This morning one of her nostrils was blocked and gunky, her face looks swollen around her eyes, shes been lethargic, has no appetite, but has laid a very healthy looking egg (see pics)... shes had no diarreah. Shes been under a lot of stress lately, we lost her companion two weeks ago and shes had two new 9 week old birds added to her coop. One of the 9 week old birds last week had very phlegmy breathing (but no swollen face or nasal discharge), she was put onto antibiotics this week and it has cleared up her infection.
I am concerned that this could be infectious coryza. Shes been more and more lethargic as the days gone on, what with it being a Saturday, any veterinary help isn't an option till Monday morning. Is there anything else asides from infectious coryza that this could be? Do any of you have any recommendations for what I could do for her till Monday when vets open? I've only been keeping chickens for 2.5 years, and I've had minimal problems till two weeks ago when I lost my other bird to heart failure (she was a 4yo hybrid egg layer), this is all fairly new to me, any advice you all could give me I'd be very grateful for.
I should also mention I am certain this is not worms related, all 3 birds have been on flubenvet for the past week.
Thanks!

Attachments

• 20210424_141855.jpg
    20210424_141855.jpg
    584.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 20210424_142144.jpg
    20210424_142144.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210424_142232.jpg
    20210424_142232.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210424_145750.jpg
    20210424_145750.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 6
It can be easy to bring in a respiratory disease with any new flock additions. The stress of the move could bring on symptoms of the disease which may have been dormant, but a carrier can then show symptoms and cause infection in your other birds within 2 or more days. Do you notice a bad odor from the chicken who is sick? Coryza which smells bad, can sometimes be confused with mycoplasma or MG. Each may cause swollen eyelids, nasal drainage, cough or sneeze, and noisy breathing. I would close the flock to new birds or any leaving the flock from now on.

What antibiotic helped the other chicken’s symptoms? The dropping appears to have intestinal shed in it, but if you see more of those, you could treat for coccidiosis with Corid. Corid is safe to use even if it is not coccidiosis.

It can be easy to bring in a respiratory disease with any new flock additions. The stress of the move could bring on symptoms of the disease which may have been dormant, but a carrier can then show symptoms and cause infection in your other birds within 2 or more days. Do you notice a bad odor from the chicken who is sick? Coryza which smells bad, can sometimes be confused with mycoplasma or MG. Each may cause swollen eyelids, nasal drainage, cough or sneeze, and noisy breathing. I would close the flock to new birds or any leaving the flock from now on.

What antibiotic helped the other chicken’s symptoms? The dropping appears to have intestinal shed in it, but if you see more of those, you could treat for coccidiosis with Corid. Corid is safe to use even if it is not coccidiosis.
Completely agree

Thanks for getting back to me, it was doxycycline that helped my other bird. I've given Penny 1ml of 50mg/ml doxycycline this morning and 3ml of loxicom oral suspension for dogs (10ml per ml) (anti inflammatory), I had some left over, do those dosages sound right? I'm running off google searches... she's not doing well at all this morning... she's spent the night in my kitchen, hopefully the antibiotics take effect and she improves... Is there anything else you can think of that I could do for her today?
To me she doesnt smell especially bad, she has an infection, she doesnt smell her usual self, but I wouldnt say she stenches. I can also see bubbles in her eyes this morning.
Thanks for the tip about coccidiosis aswell, I'm in the UK, unfortunately that means no Corid, but I've found a product that treats coccidiosis in racing pigeons.
Is there any way this isn't coryza or mycoplasma? Do you think it's worth me getting a test done to find out? Does anyone know how to do that in the UK?
I will definitely be taking your advice and closing my flock either way.

One last question, shes not drinking or eating at all, should I syringe her water? how much and how often? I dont think shes going to make it through today but I want to keep her as comfortable as possible incase she does make it to vets opening tomorrow.

If in fact it's Coryza, a sulfa drug such as sulfadimethoxine or SMZ-TMP will be needed in addition to the antibiotic you're giving her to treat the disease. It's also possible she may have Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG) in combination with Coryza.
Both of these respiratory diseases are contagious to other birds.

If the doxycycline helped, and she has bubbles in her eyes, that points to mycoplasma gallisepticum or MG. It is always best to get testing or a necropsy if she dies, so that you know exactly what you are dealing with. As @dawg 53 said, there can be 2 diseases at the same time. Coryza is said to smell terrible, and sulfa antibiotics are useful to treat it. I would offer water often with a small lid or scoop help up to her beak. Keep her warm.

In the UK, Harkers Coxoid is usally available for treatment of coccidiosis.

If in fact it's Coryza, a sulfa drug such as sulfadimethoxine or SMZ-TMP will be needed in addition to the antibiotic you're giving her to treat the disease. It's also possible she may have Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG) in combination with Coryza.
Both of these respiratory diseases are contagious to other birds.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge! I've managed to get her to a vets today, vets suspect this may be MG in all three birds. I'm still hopeful theres a chance it's not and it's something else that the stress of a new home and company has brought on but it's not looking good :(

Back
Top Bottom