Not too familiar with breed... help... wyandotte rooster makes noises

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by tnchickenut, May 31, 2010.

1. tnchickenut

tnchickenut It's all about the Dels!

Jan 24, 2010
    Englewood, TN
    Ok. I have a TON of chickens of all sorts of breeds, but I have one particular boy - a silver laced wyandotte rooster - who makes noises that sound like metal on metal. It doesn't even sound like something any animal would make!

Is this normal? Should I get him to a vet? He isn't sneezing or weezing... very healthy (and BIG).... he just is at that point where he should be learning to crow and it isn't like that at all. It sounds like squeeky brakes or metal on metal grinding.

I'm at a loss.

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Sounds like he's just learning to crow...they make some very horrendous crows before their crow matures.

I don't think it has anything to do with the breed.

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  3. tnchickenut

Jan 24, 2010
    Englewood, TN
    I don't know... I know that is what it should be... I have all sorts of other breeds and he is the only boy who ever sounded this bad!!! lol. As long as it couldn't be something healthwise. It don't bother me... it just sounds like rusty old brakes or big metal parts grinding against one another. lol.

I swear, it's not like any adolesent crow I hear before. I thought the first time that it was my waterheater going out!

And I have about 150 chickens - give or take with about 1/4 of them roosters. So, I do know what a crow should sound like. He is a oddball. Poor Pete.

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  4. tnchickenut

Jan 24, 2010
    Englewood, TN
    Kay... I sat next to him all this time and waited. He does a crow... pathetically... but he ALSO does this other noise I'm trying my best to describe. I think I'm not doing it justice in words.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by