Not too sure

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by amandarey20, Feb 19, 2011.

1. amandarey20

amandarey20 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2010
    Texas
    [​IMG]I got my first ever chicks yesterday. 3 BR babies they seem to be doing perfectly fine except they have...poop on their feathers below their little hiney. Whats the easiest way to get rid of it or should I even interfere? Wish I could post pics for yall not sure how to do that

2. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    I'm new to this too, but I am thinking a big YES! Isn't this what is referred to as "pasty butt", which can actually kill your chicks? [​IMG] Clean them up and wait for more responses from experienced breeders.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I hold their rears under warm, not hot, water and rinse it away. Yes, a plugged butt can be problematic. Not every poop streak is the end of the world, but if it looks like it is building up, head to the laundry sink!![​IMG]

4. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Fred's Hens :

I hold their rears under warm, not hot, water and rinse it away. Yes, a plugged butt can be problematic. Not every poop streak is the end of the world, but if it looks like it is building up, head to the laundry sink!![​IMG]

That's what I do, too. They usually like it. Just make sure to keep them warm and don't let them get chilled until they are dry. A little poop below the vent is ok - just don't let it build up so that they can't poop...​

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

What noodleroo and Fred's Hens said. The problem generally goes away by two weeks of age and sometimes it is solved by simply lowering the temp in the brooder. Also, if you are giving them sugar water, they only need that the first day or if they are actually sick and listless. High brooder temp and sugar water often compounds the pasty butt problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by