Not Urgent but help required

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Frankod123, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Frankod123

Frankod123 New Egg

Nov 30, 2013
    Hi Guys,
    I purchased 4 chickens about 4 weeks ago.
    Only after I got them home did I notice this strange growth on the lower part of ones tummy.
    I have googled extensively but most posts relate to cloaca issues where mine is higher on the bird - closer to between the legs.
    Strange as it sounds it looks like testicles on the hen. But not in the normal chicken sense.....
    [​IMG]

Its probably hard to see but the cloaca is further back approximately where the red circle is. Note I trimmed the feathers behind the growth to make it easier to see and keep an eye on. The hen is a Rhode Isle red and overall happy and apparently healthy. She isn't laying at all as far as I can work out. I thought it might be a hernia of some sort but when I googled I couldn't see anyone with anything similiar. Appreciate any suggestions.
    Thank you.

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    cyst or tumor?[​IMG]

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sometimes you will see an enlargement there that may be reddened, but it is usually waterbelly or ascites from internal laying or egg yolk peritonitis. That looks more like a tumor to me. Chickens get cancer and other tumors commonly, especially with Mareks disease.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  4. Frankod123

Frankod123 New Egg

Nov 30, 2013
    Hi Guys - now you have me worried!!
    Egg yolk peritonitis, Cancer, Tumors, Mareks disease!!
    I have now googled them all and can't find another chicken that looks at all like mine.
    In any case - apart from taking her to the vet do you have any other suggestions?
    If she laid eggs would it be ok to eat them from her?

Many thanks.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Eggs are perfectly fine to eat. Mareks is a virus that causes cancers, paralysis, skin conditions, and blindness in chickens. It doesn't cause all of those symptoms in one chicken, but it you read ablout it you might learn how to recognize it. Tumors are very common in chickens without Mareks. Egg yolk peritonitis and cancer of the reproductive tract is also common. Don't be too alarmed by this thing on the leg, but you just need to know what it could be. These topics would be good to search here on BYC or to Google, and educate yourself about since most of us will see one or more of these when having chickens. Here is some info about Mareks: http://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource000791_Rep813.pdf

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by