Not Urgent Injury: Turkey has limp leg, was attacked a few weeks ago

Elfie4306

Chirping
Mar 23, 2020
Maine
Some might know this already, but my turkey tom was attacked by a dog a few weeks ago. He seemed to make a full recovery, but today he has a limp leg. He can't put weight on it. The injury from the attack is on his chest, about 3-5 inches long. My mom thinks he might have muscle death. She says he doesn't have a broken leg, but I don't want to rule that out yet. Any ideas on what it is, and ways to treat it?

After reading a bit, another guess I have is mycoplasma. Which my acne medication can treat.

Update: We just took out his stitches, and wrapped his body with bandages and some gauze with antibacterial spray on it. He is in a dog crate in his run with his mate. Last I saw him he was on the perch we set up, (like 2 inches off the ground). When we were treating him he couldn't/wouldn't stand, and he refused to spread his toes. Also while I was holding him while Mom set up the dog crate he was only holding his head straight out, it wasn't just limp, but it wasn't where he usually held his head either. Even when I picked his head up to rest on his wing, it flopped back. I'm not sure he'll make it.

Last edited:
Some might know this already, but my turkey tom was attacked by a dog a few weeks ago. He seemed to make a full recovery, but today he has a limp leg. He can't put weight on it. The injury from the attack is on his chest, about 3-5 inches long. My mom thinks he might have muscle death. She says he doesn't have a broken leg, but I don't want to rule that out yet. Any ideas on what it is, and ways to treat it?
If it was broken in the attack he would have been limping the whole time.
He might have recently injured it.
Sorry I am not more help
@casportpony might have an idea

Back
Top Bottom