Not used to space limitations! Muddy coop run, young/adult chicken Qs.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Silkies~Polishes, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Silkies~Polishes

Silkies~Polishes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Hi, i have many questions! Sorry!
    - i have 2 bantam cochins(1 is a rooster!) and 1 buff orpington hen. I also have two chicks that are 3 1/2 months old, 1 is a standard polish, the other a bantam silkie. I recently moved to a house with a small yard, but i used to have a medium chicken coop with a large run(i could have 8 chickens), now i have the eglu and i am pretty sure it is going to be too small! Is this true?
    - The run is always muddy, every week i have to clean out the run and put in new bedding, only a few days later to have it look all mucky again, what is a temporary fix? I am only going to be living at my house for about a year
    - Recently i noticed my polish has lost many of her head feathers, about a inch by inch area, it looks a little red and there is a small spot with dried blood! What do you think is wrong with her? It is not overcrowding since the chicks are currently in a small covered pen, not in the run with the adults. I worry it is maybe because they are too wet? even though they have shelter from the rain, whenever i check on them they are wet and just standing in the rain. Although my silkie is fine and does not appear to be losing any feathers(fluff?)
    -Last question! My adult chickens try to attack the chicks every time they are outside together, although i positioned the chicks near the adults and now they can eat together without any problems, is this all i need to do to get them used to each other? Also, if they eventually are together, how should i go about keeping the adult chicken food away from the chicks? Does it matter if my rooster eats the layer feed?

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

First off - leaves works for me in cases of mud.

Second - Your hen might be being picked by the others. Any signs of mites/lice/fleas?

Third - Older hens are mean to younger ones. I wouldn't put them together until they are old enough to defend themselves. Introduce them slowly [​IMG]

3. Silkies~Polishes

Jun 2, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    thanks for replying! Thats what i was thinking, about introducing them when the younger ones are about 31/2-4 months old. About my polish, i dont think she could be being picked on, since she is 1 of the 2 chicks and the other one, the silkie is very tiny, i measured them a few minutes ago and she only stands 5 inches at the shoulder, and the polish stands 10! So maybe it is some kind of pest. Although today has been dry and the polish looks much better, maybe she just looks bad when she wet, and its been raining almost everyday, so i dont know.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Silkies~Polishes :

Hi, i have many questions! Sorry!
    - i have 2 bantam cochins(1 is a rooster!) and 1 buff orpington hen. I also have two chicks that are 3 1/2 months old, 1 is a standard polish, the other a bantam silkie. I recently moved to a house with a small yard, but i used to have a medium chicken coop with a large run(i could have 8 chickens), now i have the eglu and i am pretty sure it is going to be too small! Is this true?
    - The run is always muddy, every week i have to clean out the run and put in new bedding, only a few days later to have it look all mucky again, what is a temporary fix? I am only going to be living at my house for about a year
    - Recently i noticed my polish has lost many of her head feathers, about a inch by inch area, it looks a little red and there is a small spot with dried blood! What do you think is wrong with her? It is not overcrowding since the chicks are currently in a small covered pen, not in the run with the adults. I worry it is maybe because they are too wet? even though they have shelter from the rain, whenever i check on them they are wet and just standing in the rain. Although my silkie is fine and does not appear to be losing any feathers(fluff?)
    -Last question! My adult chickens try to attack the chicks every time they are outside together, although i positioned the chicks near the adults and now they can eat together without any problems, is this all i need to do to get them used to each other? Also, if they eventually are together, how should i go about keeping the adult chicken food away from the chicks? Does it matter if my rooster eats the layer feed?

I would invest in a few inches of sand for your run. It makes a world of difference to many people who battle mud. You can get a 1/4 or 1/2 ton much cheaper (like $15 or less) from a mulch/gravel company than you can by buying a bunch of bags. You would need to box in the bottom part of the run with 2x4 or something if it's not already that way. Sand is also VERY easy to clean droppings from.

I read often about folks having issues with feather picking the crests of polish - that's why some people just keep crested w/crested. I'm not sure how small your run/coop is, but overcrowding does contribute to feather picking (although some folks deal with the polish issues even when there is ample space).

When you do integrate the chicks, unless they're close to laying age, you'll need to use Flock Raiser (or something like it) until the chicks are old enough for the Layer feed. There's really no way to keep feeders separate when flocks are combined. Roos can eat any of the feeds safely.​

5. Silkies~Polishes

Jun 2, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Okay, somebody told me before( a relative) about flockraiser. When i went a feedstore and asked them about it they treated me like i was stupid and it didnt exist! Is this easy to find? what is different about it? The sand is a good idea, although i dont think i could do that now, since i have no way to keep the sand from overflowing outside the run, but i will definetly do that when i move and get another coop built!
    Thanks again for your reply!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by