not using a passage to new pasture

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tri tockice, Aug 28, 2013.

1. tri tockice

tri tockice New Egg

Aug 4, 2013
    [​IMG]

My chickens are 14 weeks old. I have recently added a new area to their pasture. The trouble is, this area is not immediately adjacent to existing area (which includes a coop and a run), but connected by a sort of passage (side of the house and fence). The passage is 8 yards long and 1-2 feet wide. It is not wide enough for me to get through, but even a large dog can do it and so can a chicken. The problem is, they do not seem to want to. they just keep to their existing area.
    It has been a week now and they still have not discovered it :)
    today I have tried herding them into the passage, then blocking their return (hoping they would go to the other side) and so learn about the new pasture, but it did not help. They just clustered next to barrier (I gave it several hours).
    I suppose I could have a dog chase them through, but I do not really want to encourage chicken chasing behaviour in dogs.
    Ideas, anyone?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    You could lure them down the tunnel with treats such as black oil sunflower seeds.

Chris

3. tri tockice

tri tockice New Egg

Aug 4, 2013
    not really, as I cannot pass there myself to place the treats :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by