not using nest boxes

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by eddie w, Jul 21, 2011.

1. eddie w

eddie w Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2011
    tey are 17 weeks old and a few started layig but outside on the dirt just pulling the straw out of the nest boxes what should i do?

2. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

have you tried putting the decoy egg or golf ball in the nest boxes?

3. eddie w

eddie w Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2011
    no not yet the twon that r laying are laying colored eggs should i try to match them?

4. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

if you can, and can you put the 2 in the coop for a day or two if it's not to hot?

5. ddmiddle7

ddmiddle7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Try putting some fake eggs in the boxes. I put a plastic Easter egg that I filled with sand and taped shut with clear scotch tape in each box. My two pullets that are laying started using them right away. You could also put wooden or ceramic eggs in the boxes. You can probably find them at a hobby shop. I know I have seen them in the past. But I tried the plastic eggs and they seemed to work just fine. I chose a yellow and an orange egg. I don't think the color matters much though. I have also seen on BYC that people just put a golf ball in each box and that seems to work for them.
    Also, when I got these two older pullets to add to my flock I put both of them in the boxes a few times during the day to get them used to it. I put them in there and held them there for a few seconds until they sat down in them. If you can get one laying in there, I bet they will all follow suit. I noticed by Buff Orpington acting a little strange one day and followed her to the coop and saw her trying to make a nest in the corner on the ground so I simply picked her up and put her in the box and after a few seconds she started making a nest in the boxes and my Production Red saw her in there and decided to join her. Twenty minutes later *POOF* two eggs...one in each box.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Keep it up they will eventually get it. They instictly want to lay their eggs in a safe spot, they just need to learn that their nest boxes are their safe place.

Dereck

6. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    golf balls worked for me

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by