Not using Nesting Boxes

jfitz128

Hatching
8 Years
Jan 6, 2012
My Barred Rocks have just started laying eggs (one week) but are not using the nesting boxes.
I am using shavings in the boxes could that be the problem?
Should I be using straw or hay?
Thanks for your help.

Any of those bedding choices should be fine. Some people find putting fake eggs (or golf balls) in the nest boxes helps the young hens figure out where to lay their eggs. Hens view the egg as a cue to lay more eggs in the same place. You could even move the first egg of the day laid outside into the nest box to give a hint to the other hens.

I used the golf ball method. It seemed to work well. I use river sand in the nesting box. Easy to clean and cushions the egg.

Mine really like to have something to put on their backs that feels like they're covering themselves. Perhaps the shavings aren't close enough to what grass or hay would be. I'm using a golf ball and junk mail run through the shredder for the nesting material. Haven't had any eggs laid outside of the nest box yet and there's an endless supply of junk mail.
thumbsup.gif

My chickens are 10 weeks old and have been outside in their ready built/bought coop for two weeks, they have two perches and two nesting boxes inside.
They are all insisting on using the same one of the nesting boxes to sleep and rest in and both nesting boxes seem to be used as toilets.
Do they figure it out theirselves or should i be doing something to stop this? I dont want them not to use their nesting boxes for laying eggs when they become the right age.
Any advice plz???

My chickens are 10 weeks old and have been outside in their ready built/bought coop for two weeks, they have two perches and two nesting boxes inside.
They are all insisting on using the same one of the nesting boxes to sleep and rest in and both nesting boxes seem to be used as toilets.
Do they figure it out theirselves or should i be doing something to stop this? I dont want them not to use their nesting boxes for laying eggs when they become the right age.
Any advice plz???
If all your chickens are 10 weeks old, you can block off the nesting box until they are showing signs of laying (squatting, red comb, etc.) or until they are 18 weeks. My chickens were perching on the edge of the nesting box at night and as a result pooping in them (they poop in their sleep). I blocked off the nesting box and provided more perches for them, because I was afraid they could fly to the perches I provided. They eventually found their way to the perches! When it came time for them lay I took the cover off the nesting box and placed a golf ball into the box (so they knew to lay into the box) and from then on they didn't use the box as a bathroom/perch. This may work for you!

Last edited:
Thank u, il try this then, im worried they will b cold on the perches though because iv been putting straw in with them in the nesting boxes. Shud i not worry bout any bedding then? X

Thank u, il try this then, im worried they will b cold on the perches though because iv been putting straw in with them in the nesting boxes. Shud i not worry bout any bedding then? X
The bedding is needed in the nesting box to cushion the egg so it doesn't crack when being laid. I don't know how cold it is where you are, but most chickens do fine in cold weather. (I'd look more into the cold weather and chicken thing, I don't know much about that)

Back
Top Bottom