Not using the perches

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by lonna, Feb 2, 2013.

1. lonna

lonna Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2013
    Mountain Home, Arkansas
    So I hatched about 40 standard sized mixed chicks about 8-10 weeks ago. We built a big, new chicken house for them alongside our incredibly old and ugly, but useful chicken house--so we designed perches for them using round rods, built a nice long (not steep) ladder for them to use, and hung an infrared bulb at the top of the house. I can't get them to use the perches at all. They are all just hanging out on the floor in the bedding. They have been in their new home for about a week--any tips on encouraging them to roost on the perches.

2. gamelife

gamelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2011
    California
    Their still fairly young and probably rather cuddle with each other at night. You could try putting
    them on their roosts at night when they can't see till they get the idea.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    They're a little young and may learn on their own in time. You can try setting them on the roost at dusk for a few nights to see if they catch on. It's possible they are avoiding the heat.

A round pole, especially if narrow like a broomstick, is not necessarily an ideal roost. Chickens' feet don't curl around a roost the way many birds' do, though they do to a point. My roost is the wide side of a 2x4. Even that may be a bit small for a huge chicken like a jersey Giant or a big Orp. Lots of people have success with fat tree branches, also.

4. lonna

lonna Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2013
    Mountain Home, Arkansas
    I don't think they are too narrow- I actually am using banister wood--my babies are probably just too young--I'll be patient:) thanks ya'll.

5. ImaChickenGirl

ImaChickenGirl Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2013
    They are to young to roost!
    My chickens often don't start roosting until the start laying eggs which is about 6 months.
    But just because mine don't roost until the are 6 months does not mean yours will wait that long! Good Luck!

6. littlechick1005

littlechick1005 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2012
    Maine
    Mine dont roost at all and they will be a year old in April...I gave them some things to roost on but since they were itty bitty yellow fluffy babies theyve chosen to group together and curl up in a little ball in the hay on the floor of their pen. Not sure if this is normal lol? but it seems to work for them *shrugs shoulders*...

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  7. AceOfSpadesJJ

AceOfSpadesJJ Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2012
    UK Colchester
    but i have some which are 7 years old they roost but i have some pol they dont, i have some just over a year and they dont roost how can i get them to. they just sleep in the nest boxes

8. ImaChickenGirl

ImaChickenGirl Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2013

If my chickens don't roost but sleep in the nesting boxes I go out to the coop when they are asleep lift them up one by one and place them on the roosts. It should work but it may take a while.

9. lillychick

lillychick Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2012
    Should they roost i have 2Isa browns and they are always sitting in there nesting box when I lock them up at night. they free range in the yard all day

10. Cknldy

Cknldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2012
    Appalachian mtns
    As chicks about 3 or so weeks old I put 2 different thicknesses of sticks in 2 corners of their brooder. It was funny to watch them trying to balance but most settled for the thickest branch. Once they were big enough for the coop I did find 2 sleeping in a corner of the run furthest from the nest boxes. Since I was a newby and had used poultry wire there was a danger of racoons killing them. I went down at dark and put both on the roost. Never had a problem since then. Guess I should mention that of course they were not laying yet either so didn't really pay attention to the boxes for awhile. Maybe there's something about the nesting boxes that they don't like? Access, nesting material or size? Just a thought.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by