Not very happy with my female scovies right now

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Goat_Walker, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    I come home to one on the outside of the fence and one ontop of the gate. Little brats have learned how to use their wings and that does not make me happy at all, with winter comming along i want my brats at home! NOT cirlcling the neighborhood like i know they will . *sigh* why cant they be too fat to fly.

2. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    i gave up even catching mine! Every time i get too close shes long gone

3. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    I mean mine are pretty tame as far as they will eat out of a scoop in my hand or i can pet them while they are eating, heck they are under my feet half the time. Its just the last female i had ran off with the wild black male around here as soon as she got her wings.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Load them up on corn and get them so fat they can't fly- or fly they surely will.[​IMG]

5. pirtykitty

pirtykitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Clip one wing .

6. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    I dont like clipping wings so im not going to until its necessary. COnsidering i only have the two young females and mom and the four brothers are too fat to fly the girls will stick around [​IMG] right now they are just testing their wings and actually got a little freaked out when they did fly, lol, i had to help the one gal off the fence. SHe was looking at me like ' how did i get up here?"

7. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Quote:[​IMG] I can just see it. Hilarious!

8. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    Haha lovin scovies! My girl flies but doesn't wander and my young girl has only just learned to fly - My mum told me she was woken up by my young girl on the roof outside the bedroom window pecking at it. I looked everywhere and couldn't find her, then peeked over into the neighbours yard and there she was. I climbed over the fence and she was sooo happy to see me, she must of had a huge scare when she flew [​IMG] she ran at me while flapping her wings lookin like she was saying 'oh my god oh my god its you'
    soo very cuute... then picked her up and took her home, walking past everyone who was on their way to school with a duck in my arms haha. I got funny looks.

9. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    im having the same problem [​IMG]
    my muscovy has started flying over the fence which makes her easy prey for any stay dogs. when I let them out of the pen she is so happy she will take off running/flying across the yard. sometimes she is so excited she will fly a few feet up and the wind will blow her off track so that she ends up in the front yard. the problem is she will not fly back in, she just waddles back to wait for someone to come by and open the gate for her. I really would hate to clip her wings and because she would not be able easily to fly away from any predators

10. Rosecomb-Ryan

Rosecomb-Ryan East Indie Crazed

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    Do they look like this? LOL I have a female Silver Muscovy that can fly 100+ feet up and as far as she wants to.. Every evening she makes 3 big loops around the neighborhood and lands in the pool. They are TRULY amazing flyers! Mine NEVER land in the neighbors yard.. only in ours I have no idea why either.. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by