Not very lovey dovey

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sphinx, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    I've noticed a lot of people here talking like they seem to be have chickens that are willing to be picked up, held, petted.

My chickens definitely like me, but I think it's because I'm the treat lady. If I reach out to even attempt to touch them, they get away as though I'm getting ready to make chicken soup.

I got all but one as day old chicks, which I raised. I see and interact with them every day. They're perfectly happy to be very close to me, as long as I don't try to actually touch them. I CAN grab one and hold it, and one I get it securely held, it doesn't struggle to get away (much), but it definitely doesn't enjoy it, and as soon as I loosen up the tiniest bit, it does try to get away.

Is it a personality thing?

2. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Mine are the same way. My chickens are great, but they dont get cozy with me. But I am content being Treat Lady!

3. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I had RIR that did that til they started to lay now they like to be handled laying made them much friendlier. I have 13 week old BR that i raised from 10 day olds that like to be held would climb on my shoulder and all over me til they became teenagers now they are too cool to be handled. They still come to me for treats and will let me scratch their wattles but thats it. I know when they get older they will like me more. Also I have 1 month olds that act like I am the big scary monster. But they will get better

4. fargosmom

fargosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    They all have different personalities, but they also go through their moods. Mine were all skittish till they started laying, then one decided that being held to have her head skritched wasn't so bad, and at times she'll pester and peck me till I pick her up for some cuddling. BUT she wants nothing to do with me right now because she's molting. She'll come around again once that's over, I think. The others don't want to be held . . . but if I have one for cuddling that's plenty! [​IMG]
    So anyway, if yours are still young, just keep trying and you might find that one comes around at some point. If they're mature hens, then they're probably set in their ways.

5. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Some of mine are tamer than the others, but only by a little. 4 of my 5 seem to enjoy being petted/scratched, but Nugget the flock leader only tolerates it. The EEs like to have their heads cupped. They will close their eyes, vibrate their heads, and then fall asleep. The RIRs like comb and wattle scratches, and neck massages. [​IMG] Spoiled chickens, huh?

6. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Try sitting really still and don't make any sudden movements, also mine seem to be more friendly when I am not making any noise.

7. Turkeyrangler

Turkeyrangler Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    By Lake Superior
    I have a roo that was rarely handled for his first 17 weeks until I got him. He was a terror in the run at first so I got in the habit of picking him up when he got nasty with the other birds which was most every day for a couple weeks. Now I can pick him up without chasing him and he even lets me lay him on him back cradled like a baby while I can scratch his breast with no protest at all. He has gotten much better with the hens as well. Almost a gentleman. He did need to be hung by his feet a couple times early on to chill out from his bad attitude. He doesn't need that anymore.

8. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    i hear you on this one. it seems like i wrote your post. whatever, they dont know what theyre missing ANYWAYS. [​IMG]

9. Peppermint

Peppermint Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Too funny! I'm the scary treat monster too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by