not walking pullets (Ameraucanas)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mshuey1, Aug 10, 2011.

1. mshuey1

mshuey1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    San Antonio
    Am having trouble with 4 of my pullets there hocks r swollen and they are loseing the ability to walk, so far I haven't found much on the net. :(There on antibiotics (taylan) and am working on them by stretch and rubbing there legs, by doing this am hoping they won't lose there feeling in there legs.

My pullets are eating,drinking and gaining weight.[​IMG]

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Any time you see more then one of your chickens have "swollen hocks" and loseing the ability to walk is a major concern. What comes to mind is Mycoplasma Synoviae which is a respiratory tract infection. The fact that they are eating, drinking and gaining weight is a very good sign. We would need to know more information, how old are your pullets ? When did this start? How long have you been treating wil antibiotic ? I would suggest looking up Mycoplasma on the net. Let see if anybody else has any ideas?. I hope they start feeling better soon [​IMG]

3. mshuey1

Apr 23, 2011
    San Antonio
    Quote:The pullets are 3months and it started about 1month ago. I've been treating them with antibitics for 7 days now. Some are trying to walk on there own but I have one that doesn't walk.

4. mshuey1

Apr 23, 2011
    San Antonio
    Quote:The pullets are 3months and it started about 1month ago. I've been treating them with antibitics for 7 days now. Some are trying to walk on there own but I have one that doesn't walk.

Thank you so much for the info I looked it up and it says that am to us tetracycline antibiotic in there feed. Will post the out come.[​IMG]

5. mshuey1

Apr 23, 2011
    San Antonio
    It makes alot of sense my flock is over coming respiratory tract infection and I gave them Tylan all the girls recovered but not the 4 pullets. I did look up Mycoplasma Synoviae and thats what it sounds like.[​IMG] Am going to treat them tetracycline.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by